Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Rib Dalmatian Rub Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulagn1971
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, that's exactly how I do both.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with zero-credit. Negligible if any difference. Buuttt... there's one way to find out for sure- do an experiment. If you have 2 or more racks, do 1 or 2 each way and see if you notice a difference.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Nope

• MtView
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskee View Post
    If you're a dry briner, and I am for nearly everything, you can do either the salt now and pepper later, or both now. The pepper is a moot point whether you add it early or at smokin' time.
    If I put the salt on the night before and the pepper the next day, would the bark be noticeably different because the salt would be completely absorbed by then?

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    That's how a lot of (if not all) the pros do it. They don't have time or space to dry brine 50 briskets a day or two before.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I don't think anything would improve unless you notice your salt:spices ratio is less than preferred. For instance, using Meathead's Red Meat rub on a tri tip to me seems too little salt, so I dry brine half and then use the rub for the rest. Otherwise dry brining with a salted rub is still dry brining

• Huskee
    replied
    If you're a dry briner, and I am for nearly everything, you can do either the salt now and pepper later, or both now. The pepper is a moot point whether you add it early or at smokin' time.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on this. Works fine for me too.

• Murdy
    replied
    I dry brine with a salty rub. I know the spices don't penetrate like the salt, but I'm sufficiently lazy that I put it all on at once the night before. Seems to work fine. If my short ribs would improve by separating these two steps, somebody please educate me.

Leave a comment:

• Santamarina
    replied
    With brisket I don’t dry brine - just hit it with 50/50 right before it goes in the cooker. Beef ribs I’d be inclined to do the same way.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    +1 . The main concern with dry brine is that we do not double salt by adding more salt with the rub. Either salt with the dry brine and add a new rub with no salt or do the whole rub at once.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    Can dry brine with the whole rub if you want. It's the rubs with more complexity where the bark or color is affected by doing salt separate. Straight S&P won't hurt nuthin overnight.

Leave a comment:

• MtView
    started a topic Short Rib Dalmatian Rub Question

Short Rib Dalmatian Rub Question

I'm planning on doing some short ribs on the smoker this weekend using some dalmatian rub. Will this work if I want to dry brine the ribs the night before and then just add the pepper before it goes in the smoker or should I skip the dry brine and just put the salt and pepper on together?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here