Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season Salt / Seasoned Salt: What's your favorite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season Salt / Seasoned Salt: What's your favorite?

Let's be honest, we all use season salt. Sometimes on it's own, sometimes with other seasonings. Its easy and practical. I still remember one summer, during my teen years, when I first had Lawry's at my brother's. I put it on everything.

I am just finishing up a large bottle of Aldi's version and have to say it was not as good as Lawry's. I do like celery seed, so I am sure that is one of the reason's I like it. I did some searching and found the following article:

https://thetakeout.com/guide-america...lts-1828668144

The big boy's looks intriguing, but I haven't found a source at a reasonable price.

What do you all use, and why?

We stopped using salt a long time ago because of my wife's mitral valve prolapse which make her retain water. Sometimes I will put a little Cajun Shake on some eggs and once in a while on pot roast on my plate.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      We probably use 1/10th of the salt we used 2 years ago now for no other reason than we thought it was the right thing to do.
      If we do use its usually that pink mountain salt or sea salt.
      I actually looked at a bottle of Lawry's shopping on Fri, passed on it.

Lawry’s. A staple in my spice cabinet.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Our "go to" as well. Just had oven roasted chicken thighs sprinkled with Lawrey’s.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Lawry’s makes the best garlic salt. Trust me on this, next time you fry bacon, right before the last turn of your bacon, sprinkle some Lawry’s Garlic Salt and fresh ground pepper on one side. Turn it over briefly till done. OMG. Best bacon ever!
      Last edited by Panhead John; October 9, 2021, 08:28 PM.

I keep Lawry's and recently Tony Cs. I feel bad that I have no Johnny's.
    Last edited by rickgregory; October 10, 2021, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I have Gibson’s seasoning salt that we only use for steak. For other meats I use different rubs. My shelf has some Grilla rubs and Killer Hogs that I picked up in Wisconsin. Other than that we use sea salt that I purchased at Costco that I only use to season potatoes that I grill.

Comment

I have Mortons Kosher salt in the cupboard.

Comment

I have used Lawry’s Seasoning Salt for years and still do but for the past 3 months or so I’ve been using La Preferida Sazon all purpose seasoning and have been enjoying it on burgers, chicken and pork chops and tenderloins. It does contain MSG, that’s not an issue for me but I know it can affect some people.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BCCF48D7-4921-405A-8A94-CF3BB2E7E53C.jpeg
Views:	500
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1107708

Comment

I use Slap Ya Mama, all three for different profiles. We still use Lawry's when cooking smash burgers or patty melts but, my go-to now is Slap for most everything.

Comment

I never use any spice blend with salt. Ever. Salt is added on its own, and it’s Morton’s coarse kosher salt.

I don’t use any spice blends that I don’t make myself because you can’t control the flavor to salt ratio.

Comment

My first choice BBQ spice for personal use is Ina Paarman. All Ina Paarman products are quality and worth the higher price compared with other manufacturers. The BBQ and Cajan are top class.
                Six gun grill is my go-to spice for smash burgers. A really decent product for the price.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-10-07-11-55-1.png Views:	0 Size:	234.7 KB ID:	1107750
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20211010_071543-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	688.8 KB ID:	1107751
                Last edited by holehogg; October 9, 2021, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Im using this one..
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	16338648001934378775040408642281.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1107769

Comment

Lawry's salt in brisket rub. Brisket Recipes | Aaron Franklin v. John Lewis | BBQ Champion Harry Soo SlapYoDaddyBBQ.com - YouTube

Also of interest is a PitMaster who worked at Aaron Frankin bbq stated that he never has used just plain salt and pepper, as seen in Mad Scientist BBQ.
                    Last edited by bbqLuv; October 10, 2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Not really a surprise to most of you, but I’m very fond of Tony Chachere’s. I’ve tried many others over the years, but I’ve always got Tony’s on hand and use it the most by far. Slap Ya Mama is also damn good!

Click image for larger version  Name:	A27FC579-61AC-4207-8F28-9BFBBAE501D0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	28.5 KB ID:	1107811 Click image for larger version  Name:	4285A05E-2EE4-4E24-880F-95251D092683.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	23.7 KB ID:	1107812

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here