Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to me Chile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me Chile

I just heard about the chile. Chimayo Heritage Red Chile Pods and powder

Can anyone tell me about it? Taste, heat level?
    Last edited by ofelles; October 7, 2021, 11:26 AM.

No, but I have a couple of Chimayo rugs.

And I have a friend shipping me some chile next week that are new to me: Lemitar.

Comment

I think I’ve had some of this in powder form in the past but don’t remember much of a difference from the various powders I have tried, or from pods that I’ve blended for various chile and such.

I know someone on the board received some Chimayo chile last year and I provided some suggestions on cooks, but I don’t remember who that was. Hopefully he sees this thread, but I’d buy it anyways

as for Jim White mentioning Lemitar - many locals here in NM prefer the Lemitar chile over Hatch, mainly due to taste. I’ve had many varieties, and perhaps it’s a slight difference in the soil and elevation. Chimayo is higher altitude than both Lemitar and Hatch, if that could make a difference.

But, enjoy that chile and what you make with it!

Comment

Huskee This is about A type of chile pod not a bowl of chili. Didn't know where to put it

Comment

• latenight71
          latenight71 commented
          Editing a comment
          If I were to say I would put it here - https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...des-and-brines

Because - "Rubs, Seasonings, Marinades, Injections, Spritzes, Batters and Paste Discussion"

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I struggled where to put it too. I'll put it in rubs/seasonings if that's what you want. I went on the title.

Here is a link to an article about them:
        What are Chimayo peppers? The tiny New Mexican village of Chimayo, 28 miles north of Santa Fe, holds a chili treasure dear to heart. There, the Chimayo pepper - in its twisted, knotted beauty - is

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

I came across tabasco powder, something I had never seen before so I did the honourable thing and got a pkt.
        Made Boerie Breyani last night and didn't have any curry powder to use. I usually use 4 Tbs of all in one curry powder (mild with great flavour) and decided to substitute with a single teaspoon of tabasco powder.
        All I can say the heat was not mild, it was not strong but was FH*.

I know this doesn't shed any light on your question. Just wanted to share my infamous experience of substituting an ingredient using a never tried before chilli powder.

* Frightfully Hot. (What were you thinking?)

Comment

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here