Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat Iron Pepper Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Iron Pepper Company

I've been wanting to try one or two of their products. one being their Dark and Smoky blend. I can see grinding that in a coffee grinder and subbing it for recipes and rubs that call for ancho. Does anyone have any experience with them?
    You'll never go back to red pepper flakes! Flatiron Pepper creates unique pepper flake blends that showcase a variety of peppers, such as Jalapeno, Habanero, Ghost Pepper, Chipotle, Hatch Green Chile, Ancho, Carolina Reaper, Moruga Scorpion, Scotch Bonnet, and many more.
    Last edited by Hulagn1971; August 18, 2021, 06:01 PM.

I bought a big selection of their products a few months back. The Dark and Smoky is good. I have both the peppers and the rub. Haven't used the rub yet. The UC Biber is great. The Asian Red and Four Pepper blends are both also awesome but pack quite a punch, so moderation is required with them.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your input Jim! Let me know how you like the rub. I saw that and it looks interesting. I figured I'd pulverize the dark and smoky flakes then use them in the MMD rub. I am a sucker for peppers and the actual flavor they bring to food.

I got the four pepper blend, the green one, and dark and smoky. The dark and Smokey is almost empty and the others are about half full. Get the grinder if you can it really changes things

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Hulagn1971 not really, it doesn’t use a burr to grind it uses a rotating blade.

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      jhapka more like a coffee grinder?

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Draznnl see pic below

Yea, kinda familiar with their stuff.

All good. Rub is nice kick. 4 pepper is intense. My goto is the Hatch. I put it on everything.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210818_212709.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	1079479
    Last edited by RichieB; August 18, 2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Very Nice, Brother!

I've done heared me so many good reports of quality, flavour , etc.

I probly oughtta but a move, git me some...

Kinda intrigued as to how multiple ones would be, ground together...

Perhaps I'll be Th Lone Pioneer, in that pursuit...

No worries: I'll share alla th dat I discover, in between ER Visits LOL JK Yall
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 18, 2021, 09:56 PM.

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice spread!

Hulagn1971
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Hulagn, ya just gave me an idea what to do with the bumper crop of habaneros, tobascos & remainder of the Armageddons.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        When I grew Reapers I would dehydrate some and grind them up, Reaper Dust, I called it. It goes a looooong way.
        Oh if you have a dehydrator to do this. Don’t do it in the house.

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan glad to help!

Flat Iron is fantastic. I love all the ones I’ve tried but the dark and smoky blend is by far my favorite.

Comment

Agree about the grinder. These are all much hotter than using your typical store bought chili pepper powder, and the grinder takes it up another notch. If you like heat (and I do), these are a must have. I have a bottle of everything they offer in my kitchen, and a backup of most of them.

Comment

i have tried the asian reds (really kicks up my asian dishes, too much for kids and borderline for the wife), the sweet heat is great(perfect for pizza), the green chile one is a good all around pepper nice heat but not too much, and i love the dark and smokey.

dark and smokey is great on top of a fried egg, add a couple of shakes to your butter\oil while its heating up then add a shake to the top of the egg after you flip it.

Comment

RichieB turned me on to Flatiron Pepper Company last year and I got hooked on their UCBiber blend, which I use instead of pepper, often, when the "salt and pepper to taste" part of a recipe rolls around. It's fantastic.

They offer it in special runs, and I always stock up. klflowers tipped me off about the last UC Biber run, thank goodness, because my stock was running dangerously low.

I've got 4 other flavors as well: : Asian, Hatch, Dark and Smokey, 4 Pepper Blend.

The Flatiron Pepper Co. grinder is a must. Love that boost of flavor that it provides. I must learn to take off the cap, though, before I start grinding away. I bet I forget that 4 times out of 5.

They now offer "Mild Editions" of most of the blends, so your family might like the Mild Edition of the Asian Blend, Sam6687 . You may convert them yet.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; August 19, 2021, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              UC Biber is currently available

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Just give it time, Murdy . It will be offered again, at least that's how it has been in the past. It goes pretty quickly.

Kathryn

• jhapka
              jhapka commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I read in an email they have a tough time processing the uc biber because it has a high moisture content or something. Could be making that up. They do a limited release now and again

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here