Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char Crust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char Crust?

I was so impressed by some of scottranda's posts of steaks that he'd seared with Char Crust rubs that I ordered some for my self and of course, I have some questions:
    1. How many uses, roughly, do you get out of a 4 oz package?
    2. Do you sprinkle on or dredge?
    3. If you dredge, do you dump the whole 4 oz package and then dredge?
    4. If #3 is yes, do you save and reuse what is left in your dredging container?
    5. It appears that scottranda sous vides then sears, which I'm fine with but say I wanted to do a reverse sear, should I put the Char Crust on at the beginning, or just before searing?
    I've contacted Char Crust to see if us lowly consumers can purchase the jars and jugs of this stuff that they sell to food service companies. If I like this as much as I think I'm going to, buying 4 oz packages may not cut it for me.

Thanks for any tips or tricks. I hope to be trying this on the weekend on a strip loin for Ann and a T-bone for me.
    Last edited by pkadare; July 22, 2021, 06:36 AM.

Ohhhhh most excellent sir! I sous vide, pat dry, beef love, then sprinkle and sear warp 10. If I was reverse searing, I would sprinkle after low n slow (pat dry of course) and right before the sear. For those pouches, I probably get 12-14 steaks out of them.

garlic peppercorn is my favorite!
    Last edited by scottranda; July 22, 2021, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I should’ve added that I cold shock after sous vide.

I received a 4oz. Package of the garlic peppercorn from my brother in law,,,stuff is awesome
    Have used it on steak as well as chicken,,,đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Comment

OK, had to try it too. Just ordered some.

BTW, Walmart apparently has larger quantities: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Crus...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting though it doesn't help me as that is only Walmart US. Also, the product is being fulfilled through Walmart but is being sold by Snazzy Gourmet. This is the response I got from Char Crust:
        "Unfortunately, our foodservice jugs and jars are not labeled for retail sale, and can only be sold to wholesale foodservice businesses such as restaurants."
        So it would appear that Snazzy Gourmet should not be selling this retail.

I guess I missed this, but what makes char crust special versus just using S&P?

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I expected that based my phrasing.

Let me rephrase.

Does char crust have special ingredients that offer a better look after searing or a better flavor profile? Char crust implies some differences in the look post searing and maybe if the special ingredient is somewhat hard to find it would be good to know versus say throwing some sugar in the salt and pepper.

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        It definitely tastes different and better (my opinion). Incredible sear and crust!

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s good enough for me!

I found some roasted garlic peppercorn today while visiting Max so we will give it a shot. Thanks for the rec!

Comment

Okay, you win. Just ordered 4 kinds. Damn MCS!

Comment

scottranda I am going to do 2 rib eyes this week. One brined with kosher salt, sous vide, shocked. and sprinkled with Char crust(garlic pepper corn) pre searing. The second the same way except using my Spice Jungle coffee salt as a brine and then a bit more spice jungle and cracked pepper as the sprinkle pre sear. I figure the char crust on the second would probably not mix well with the coffee salt.
          Last edited by STEbbq; August 16, 2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here