Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paprika?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paprika?

Someone posted this article on another forum. I thought it might interest some here:

Good introduction to Paprika!

Here’s another, similar spice from the Basque region of Spain/France. It’s a bit spicier than sweet paprika. It’s used throughout southern France and the Basque areas for seasoning meats, soups, and beans.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	1064381

Comment

We grow quite a few paprika plants of a few varieties. Notably a Hungarian, a couple of Spanish varieties, and then Gardeners surprise, i.e. whatever Collette plants. Most get smoked and all get ground. I prefer the Spanish style as they seem a little bolder and a little spicier, which is my style of cooking. There is absolutely nothing scientific or orderly in my process (or life, for that matter), I'm the son of a son of cat skinner so I go by the seat of my pants. This is a nice article, thank you for sharing.

Comment

I tried growing smoked paprika but it always dies around 125 degrees

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Best bet is to cold smoke it, durin th winter months, with yer cheeses...

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Har-dee-har-har.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          You guys got it all wrong. After it sprouts, transplant it into the chimney of your smoker. Use the cold smoke setting on the charcoal offset, be sure it is plugged in and filled with pellets.
          In a few months harvest your smoked paprika.

Optional water with PBR for drunken, smoked paprika.

A useful introductory primer, Thanks, Amigo!

I have several types, my dang self, but knowledge is always welcomed!

Comment

My grandfather was Hungarian, so paprika is a part of daily life for me. Hungarian sweet went on just about everything growing up.

In my kitchen there is always a dish of coarse kosher salt on the counter, and the three main spices right above it are black pepper, garlic, and paprika. Can think of very few dishes that don’t get that trio.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here