Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montreal Seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montreal Seasoning

Does anyone know the typical percentage of salt per unit volume in Montreal steak seasoning?
    Was thinking of using it to dry brine steak and wasn't sure how much to use to achieve the typical half teaspoon per pound

Morton’s Kosher salt has 480 mg in 1/4 tsp. McCormick’s Montreal regular has 180 mg of salt in 1/4 tsp.
    We just make our own Montreal seasoning without the salt and make dry brining a separate process. We do that for most seasonings.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw - do you have a recipe you're willing to share for the Montreal steak seasoning?

Hope this helps.
    I’m no good at this math stuff but looks like it’s 200mg per half tsp or 1g
    Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      I got my numbers from McCormick’s which list amounts by 1/4 tsp, and your Club House brand uses 1/2 tsp. So, the McCormick brand is much saltier. Good to know, and why I try to make my own copies of popular rubs minus any salt.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw I've actually stopped using this altogether because of the salt content.
      I don't even know how old this is....
      And yes, I prefer to make my own rubs to to control the salt.

Dewesq55
    • 2 tablespoons peppercorns
    • 1 tablespoon paprika
    • 1 tablespoon coarse salt (Don’t add if dry brining)
    • 1 tablespoon dried garlic or granulated garlic
    • 1 tablespoon dill seed
    • 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
    • 1 tablespoon onion powder
    • 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
    • 2 teaspoons mustard seeds

​​​​​​​I use a blade grinder to get the sizes the way I like them
    Last edited by Donw; July 12, 2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      very gracious = nice recipe! I don't care for off the shelf Montreal, so I will try making yours as I do make my own rubs. I try using American paprika if I'm going to smoke meat, and smoked hungarian when the victim won't be in an outside cooker.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here