Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non Sweet Rib Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Sweet Rib Rub

My daughter and I were just talking about ribs and what we like so much about them. She said she loves eating the ribs that I make but she would rather them not be sweet at all. If anyone has a rub for ribs that isn't spicy or sweet that they like I would like to see some suggestions.
    Thanks

My first batch of Huskee's Rib Rub had half the sugar, and no brown sugar added to the slabs upon smoker placement. Made them BBQ'y and more salty than sweet. You could try that FWIW.

I kept the salt in my rub since I found dry brining with the whole rub to be a better way than a no-salt version... just my preference for my recipe.

Comment

Thanks Huskee. That works great since we work fixing to make Huskee's Rib Rub this weekend anyway.

Comment

Go easy if you half the sugar, it will be easy to oversalt. I don't prefer it that way so I hope it's not gross for you. Maybe make a small half batch regular and one w/ half sugar and see what tastes best. I'd hate for it to ruin a couple racks by being too salty. You could try just omitting the brown sugar topper.

Comment

Noted, I want a regular batch of rub for myself. Maybe dry brine her rack of ribs then use Huskee's rib rub minus the salt and with half the sugar. What do you think?

Comment

A possibility. Dry brining first will reduce the overall saltiness for sure.

Comment

FWIW, I've found that a touch cinnamon, just enough to hint at the flavor, goes well on pork and can add a savory component to make up for the sweet. You might experiment with that in Huskee's rub. GO EASY at first until you find that point where the flavor makes you wonder what it is but not so much that it can be easily identified.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I mean to try that boftx, I forgot last time I made ribs. Straight cinnamon is actually kind of spicy, I think it would be decent but you never know until you try.

• Tally
                Tally commented
                Editing a comment
                That sounds great too.

• boftx
                boftx commented
                Editing a comment
                Tally, it works especially well, IMO, if you have an apple component to your glaze or if served with apple sauce.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here