Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a pity party. Nothing to see here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a pity party. Nothing to see here.

Amazon is out of Henrik Hanks True BBQ KC Royale, and my local source for Blues Hog Sweet and Savory is also out! I have two racks of spares that will need to hit the smoker Friday. Please don't hate me for this, but I'm not a fan of MMD, so that's not an option. On top of that, I have a dumpster coming tomorrow for phase two of my first floor demolition, and of course I have to be to work in two hours. Needless to say, time is not something I have in excess right now. So really, making a batch of anything is not going to work out. I have enough Hanks for one rack, but I'm at a loss for the second one. Guess it's time to roll the dice and and try something new.
    Thank you all for taking the time to read through my First World Problem. It's going to be a struggle, but I hope to come out stronger for it in the end. I'll update things when I get my issues sorted out and let you know how it went.
    Last edited by willxfmr; June 2, 2021, 08:48 PM.

Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet and Spicy or Blue’s Hog Original and Red mixed 50/50. I think both got well with pork. Though I’m a sauce on the side guy.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure why a I was thinking sauce instead of rub 🤔

If you have an Ace’s hardware close by, you can get a pretty good selection of rubs.

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      The local Ace is usually my go to Source for the Sweet and Savory, but I called them before heading over, and they said they were out. I'm actually impressed by the variety they carry for a small town hardware store.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, they definitely cater to the BBQ crowd. Helpful for sure.

I’m truly sorry to hear about your crisis. We’re all pulling for you. Please let us know how you fare. I will probably toss and turn all night, unable to sleep. 😥
    Last edited by Panhead John; June 2, 2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Nothing to see here... well that is because you did not post a photo. Pepper, kosher, cumin, chili pepper poweer of choice, smoked or regular paprika, and "roughly" a teaspoon two of brown sugar per rack. In the order of highest to lowest, except the brown sugar... I have found playing around in this grouping can be just enough to tame some of the richness in ribs, but not over power it, all the little bits of pepper, chili powder, and paprika, mixed in with the cumin, and brown sugar, builds a what I taste of a cool Smokey ness of the chili powder and cumin, and the the brown sugar takes the heat. Also salt is always good, but I find 3 parts to two parts black pepper forward to kosher and all combined, Allows you to still taste the richness and only adds to the Smokey ness... at least if you have these, it may offer you a new sample.. not saying it is anything special, purely built to what I like to taste in a rib.
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 2, 2021, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        That does sound like a good starting place for a custom rub. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve got some Arizona Dreaming by Penzey’s. Ya wanna try it let me know. It is my #2 rub behind what I make just about for anything or when I’m lazy. Let me know, I’ll drop it off. I have about a half of a bottle which should be enough or more for a rack.

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd gladly accept it, if you'll stop back to help eat them too.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        willxfmr I can drop it off after 3 pm (Thursday). There is no salt in it.
        Where you be?

Here is the ultimate pity party...

Comment

SPOG will work satisfactorily on almost any protein, in a pinch...

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Pardon my ignorance, Bones. SPOG? Translation, please?

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Salt, pepper, onion, garlic.

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John
          Thank you. I was overthinking it, couldn't come up with a commercial or AR rub that fit those initials
          Last edited by gcdmd; June 3, 2021, 07:51 AM.

Dang it! I just shipped boxes a few weeks ago. Sorry for the shortage, I'll get right on it.

Comment

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          It would save a lot of trouble if you just sent Amazon's supply straight to me.

Byron's Butt rub is good on ribs.

Comment

May I suggest a little cheese to go with your wine? (appetizer and beverage)
          Go Texas-style 50/50 salt and pepper
          SPG as a safety net.
          willxfmr "my First World Problem"--Wish you the best, but I'm sure if you can remodel you will solve this too.

Comment

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            A nice 5-6 year old white cheddar would pair nicely if you have it handy.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here