Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is spritzing real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is spritzing real?

Hello meatfriends - I’m curious if spritzing meat during a cook is more old wives tale technique versus a science based, results oriented move.

For years I’ve used a WSM with water pan and never needed or thought about spritzing for purposes of keeping the meat moist (water pan seems to do the trick). Recently I bought an Assassin grill / smoker and have been smoking without water. Still learning the new equipment and there are lots of variables to work out.

So: is spritzing an amazingribs approved technique or does it go into the discard pile with soaking wood chips, leaving a big fat cap, searing first, resting your steaks, etc….

Looking forward to your thoughts!

I always spritz my pork with 50% water / 50% Apple Cider Vinegar. Honestly, I'm not sure if it does anything other than give me an excuse to break the "no looking" rule.

Comment

I like to do it and I think it has a positive effect. If not it's still fun to do.

Comment

Worst case it's an excuse to stay focused on the cook, or to abruptly end an unwanted conversation.. sorry hunny, gotta go spritz da meat

Comment

I was going to post something similar to this question. I know in my PBC, I rarely, if ever, need to spritz. It's just naturally moist cooking environment. Back before the PBC, when I was using just the Weber Kettle (and my inexperience kept my temperatures way too high) I did spritz once the bark was "set" to keep it from really drying out.

I'm almost more interested in what we spritz with. Some people use 100% ACV, others a 50/50 mix of water and ACV. Why do we spritz, typically, with a mixture of apple cider vinegar....where did that come from?

Comment

It does not hurt anything, but it is also not necessary in all cases. My particular cooker (Primo XL) stays humid enough without a water pan or spritzing. But a log burner? Well that is a different case. You may get a real benefit there.

But no, there really are not any "set in stone" BBQ laws, other than you need wood smoke.

Comment

My meat expels moisture and does the spritzing for me. I think it's great for the spray bottle industry. I don't spritz, and similarly I don't spray water on someone coming out of a swimming pool.

Comment

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                We need an LOL button.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                ROFL
                I think it's great for the spray bottle industry.

Thanks fer th laffs, Dr. J!!!

Besides adding moisture (possibly not necessary) do you think it adds a layer of flavor?

Comment

I do not regularly, but I understand the tool is there for me if I feel it will be a plus. It is very possible that my food could improve if I did. I just have not found a regular need for it yet. I do spritz when baking bread.
                Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 1, 2021, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I’m 50/50 mainly because I’m so forgetful half the time I don’t spritz.
                  Put in this in the whatever floats your boat, may not help but certainly don’t hurt.

Comment

Not sure if it helps or hurts. To be honest, I just enjoy it...

Comment

To be certain, spritzin is Real...

As to its effectiveness, yer gonna git answers all over th board, an every cook, cooker, an protein is different...add in WX, temp, sunny, cloudy, humid, arid, windy, gusty, still....

At best, I'd say to it, play with it, see if/when/how it does, or mebbe does not enhance yer cooks, but, clearly, there's really no way to make a single, definitive reply that applies universally, Brother

Here? Filed away, as an available tool, in my toolbox...readily available if/when needed/desired.
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 1, 2021, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                        Richard Chrz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think that is the lesson to all the questions, tools in our toolbox if and when needed.

I agree with Bones, just give it a couple try’s and see what happens. For me I like to spritz with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and apple juice. I think it helps set the bark better.

Comment

• Mosca
                        Mosca commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That’s what I use as well. I spritz because it makes me feel like I’m working. And the food usually comes out really good, so I don’t want to change anything.

• Dadof3Illinois
                        Dadof3Illinois commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Mosca In my PBC when hanging ribs and liquid can’t pool I feel it helps give an even bark and sets it nice. Not sure it enhances flavor though.
                        Last edited by Dadof3Illinois; June 2, 2021, 05:47 AM.

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Truly, I enjoyed botha yer answers^^^... Dadof3Illinois Mosca

Go with what has been workin fer ya, in a particular given set of variables is a logical course of action, Brothers. I find so very little Logical Thought takin place, nowadays...

If'n it ain't broke, wail...

Dance with th One What Brung Ya, kinda sorta thing...

Many Thanks fer sharin, Amigos!

I does th same thing, with water pans, unapologetically...have never experienced any empirical data to contraindicate.
                        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 1, 2021, 10:39 PM.

I want to spritz but i refuse to support the spray bottle industry. I will not bend to the fascist plastic overlords.

kidding and joking aside, I almost always have a water pan/sns reservoir going and i just cant see it adding a noticeable amount of extra flavor.
                      Last edited by grantgallagher; June 1, 2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

To spritz or not to spritz is the question.
                        The answer is YES.
                        It depends on the cook
                        Last edited by bbqLuv; June 2, 2021, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                          Richard Chrz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Spritz with pbr?

• bbqLuv
                          bbqLuv commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes PBR
                          Another PBR convert

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here