Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worcestershire Sauce Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worcestershire Sauce Powder

A coworker just gave me a 4 oz bag of Worcestershire sauce powder. Has anyone used it before? I'm thinking maybe as a component in a rub?

He "gave" you this before or after going through Customs?
    Last edited by HawkerXP; May 11, 2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      A little story to go with above.
      In my early years of aircraft maintenance (1970s) I worked for a corporate jet manufacturer. Its was pretty common to "give" a jet to one of the leading golfers of the time as a promotional sales gimmick. They would assign one of us to take care of it wherever they lived.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      One time it came back from Mexico and this golfer had a friend along for the trip. This friend was/is a well know singer. As they headed towards Customs, the friend hands the mechanic a paper bag that has a big bag of weed in it. "Hold this for me." When they were through he comes back and wants his bag o weed back. Didn't even offer to share.

I have some also but have not used it yet.

Comment

Sounds really good to me.

Comment

Hello Bloody Mary time! Stir it up with some celery sticks.

Comment

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea!

I have heard of that in a rub, can't remember where or when.

Happy grill to you and PBR too
        Last edited by bbqLuv; May 13, 2021, 08:34 AM. Reason: changed is a rub to in a rub, my bad

Comment

I've used this in making burgers. In the book "Wicked Good Burgers" they have a fifth dimension powder which contains porcini powder, portobello powder, Worcestershire powder, onion powder and garlic powder. I mix these in with the meat before forming the patties. It gives them that Umami flavor.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            wrgilb , do you mix equal amounts of each ingredient when you make your Fifth Dimension Umami Blend?

Edited to add: Never mind, I found a link to the Fifth Dimension Blend recipe here, posted by the author of Wicked Good Burgers:
            We are thankful to Chef Andy Husbands for providing this wonderful recipe. We can't stress enough how important the quality of the meat, the grind, the shaping, and cooking technique are to a burger. If even one of the elements is off, you can have a good burger, even a really good one, but it won't

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; May 15, 2021, 06:46 AM.

• wrgilb
            wrgilb commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc Let me know how you like the powder mixture in your burgers. They have a good recipe for homemade mayo, also.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            The Best Mayo Ever recipe is in that link as well, wrgilb . Generally, I prefer kewpie mayo, but plan on giving their recipe a try. Good to know that you like it as well.

Thanks so much for heading me to the recipes for the umami blend and the mayo. Sounds like they're going to kick my burgers up a notch.

K.

I can see the utility of it. When I shake the Worcester bottle into raw ground beef, I end up with a few drops hear and there, and I've always wondered how well that gets distributed as I mix in other spices. With powder, you should be able to sprinkle it and disperse it better.

Comment

I think I'll definitely try it out on burgers! Might even try adding it to a couple existing rubs I have to see how it turns out...never know!

Comment

Late to th Party, sry...

Yup, been usin it fer years...I buy 1-pounders offa Amazon, from Spice Jungle. Lots cheaper that way. They show it as currently unavailable, but I'm sure there is probly other purveyors out there...

Uses? As mentioned afore, rubs, I sometimes use it in mashed taters, on baked taters, in or on rice, or rice dishes, an tons of other foods, ground meat mixtures, (beef, pork, sausage, meatloaf, burgers, etc.), in chex mix, on homemade tater chips, or fries, flour dredges fer fried foods,sauces, gravies, wherever alla yall already use worcestershire sauce...

To reconstitute to the flavor of table Worcestershire, blend 1 part Worcestershire Powder to 1.5 parts water (by weight).

(Loves me some Worsh Yer Sister Sauce, an use it in/on lotsa stuff!!! Always have, since I was a kiddo)

Any questions, feel free to hit me up, Brother!

Comment

• JakeT
                JakeT commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Bones! Potatoes sounds like a definite must...maybe twice baked potatoes tonight? Were chester shire sauce is great on those!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Jake T It is my distinct pleasure to have been of any assistance, My Friend!

Haveta agree, th W sauce pairs especial good with bakers/twiced bakers,; I almost always have drizzled some on mine, which natch led me to usin some in some mashers, time to time. Umami is our Friend, Amigo.

Yes it is a component used in rubs. I use it in my homemade rub. It is used to increase the umami factor that increases the flavor of the meat on your taste buds. It is strong though so a little goes as long way,

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here