Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet rub question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet rub question

I don’t use wet rubs often. Considering a pork tenderloin wet rub from Cooks Illustrated. We are driving three hours to Easter dinner tomorrow and are helping with some of the cooking. Will transport pork tenderloins in a cooler and then grill upon arrival. Best to mix/apply rub on arrival or ok to mix/apply tonight? Rub is honey, olive oil, zest, rosemary, salt, pepper, Dijon.

Either will work. The rub doesnt penetrate very far but I'd do it tonight or before you leave. Applying it right as you cook it wont give any time at all for it to work.

The main reason to not apply a wet rub/marinade far in advance is when they contain acid which can break down muscle and make a cut of meat mushy in texture

Comment

Youve got some acid in the dijon but not enough i would think to make the meat mushy so probably either is fine

Comment

My danged ol self, why, I'd do it tonight.

Cain't hurt nuthin, an saves on time constraints, an stress tomorrow...
        Have a great cook, an a Happy Easter!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 3, 2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

No problem wet brining tenderloins over night.
          Put everything in a large freezer bag for convenience.
          I can't say I've ever noticed the meat mushy in anyway after doing this.
          Put the majority of the rub on tonight and apply the Dijon when you leave for your destination.

Comment

I would apply the salt tonight, and then the rest when you arrive (or before you leave home if you have time). It shouldn't make a huge difference either way you decide to do it with tenderloin. Those tend to turn out pretty darn good regardless.
            Last edited by Steve R.; April 3, 2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here