Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French fry cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French fry cutter

Looking for recommendations on a cutter or press for French fries. Hoping to be around the Mc.D’s size.

thank you in advance. A knife is not the answer. And cannot take a ton of effort either.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 5, 2021, 08:11 PM.

Still on my wish list, Mrs. CN is my only hurdle. I like the wall mounted.

Commercial French Fry Cutter: Commercial Potato Cutters (webstaurantstore.com)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Many Thanks fer th link, ...Much appreciated!

Which model did ya end up goin with? Cause, on accounta they's 50+ on that linked page...

I had one that was wall mounted. We mounted it into the studs, it took some effort, and after a year or so the strain on the studs was too much. Became loose and started damaging the plaster wall. We definitely did not secure it properly for the amount of force needed. Sorry, that doesn’t help. Just my experience. It was and industrial fry cutter. Probably should have thought that one through better. I’ve used a Mandolin after that, but that gets a little sketchy with the amount of force needed.

Comment

Don’t know if this qualifies but both Cuisinart and KitchenAid make French fry cutter discs for their food processors.

Comment

I purchased mine here with additional cutting dies for different sizes https://www.webstaurantstore.com/sea...ry-cutter.html

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Many Thanks fer th link, Don...Much appreciated!

Which model did ya end up goin with? Cause, on accounta they's 50+ on that linked page...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 5, 2021, 09:38 PM.

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones I decided on the Garde Heavy Duty 3/8”. Later added the 1/2” and 1/4” dies so we could change things up.

I bought this one on Amazon a few years ago, but would not buy it again. It's too small. I have to cut potatoes in half lengthwise and if they are too fat I have to quarter them width wise. I normally cut them in half width wise anyway. It's easier to slice smaller pieces.
      I have found that facing the uncut end towards the cutters makes it easier to slice them. A longer arm will give more force for the same amount of effort, so look for a long arm.

Comment

I have this and it’s awesome!!

Everything but the Meat! – Sausage Making Supplies – Seasonings and Spices – BBQing and Grilling – Meat Processing Supplies for Home and Commercial Processors

I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Been usin Walton's fer years, an, indeed, that's one DEEP rabbit hole lol!

Enjoy!

I peel and cut around 20# of potatoes 5 days a week and looked at industrial cutters available here. I just can't justify the price at this time and that's mainly due to me not minding doing it. The painful part is peeling the spuds.

I do understand your reasoning for needing one. The longer the press handle is the easier the operation will be.

Comment

I can't believe no one has suggested this classic. I remember my mom using this all of the time when I was a kid. I was given a newer generation model about 15 years ago and it sure didn't last like the original.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            Ron Popiel is demanding residuals from the afterlife...I remember wasting a white tee shirt trying to slice a tomato with one of these sometime in the early sixties.

• TheQuietOne
            TheQuietOne commented
            Editing a comment
            I had no idea they still made Veg-O-Matic. Somehow I find that comforting.

I don't know if it would work for you, but I have a cheap mandolin that cuts pretty good fries. It is kind of like this, but it has a straight blade.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here