Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade grill roasted tater tots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade grill roasted tater tots?

Thinking I might make homemade tater tots, but I don’t want to deep fry or bake them in muffin tins as online recipes suggest. I would like to roast them on a grill. Anyone done this?

Yeah, I do it all the time. Toss them in oil or spray them, add salt, other spices such as garlic powder, cayenne, etc. and grill them in a grill basket. Give it a shake every once in a while. They cook from frozen faster this way than in an oven and they get crispier.

Click image for larger version  Name:	gn538HGDFOriggssLkkzsmIyk4lkM__3ePLmSBQGi4QCABQxlmGkIBA4TGMDMAiatmy47MAkkoCOgn-rlRxPj3Xdb0Kjl4nBPJyCDfY5VrS_BK1Oy0p1T_CxUhhJEHq0Pnu9O_Cilh97TpUfS7hXEK7javKHANyoGD1xB89R63IIfm0xg824aAvb2-BgupoRbM7no5iglZHGdR2oCLeOBYqxFUWQhNGxZYI-kvsbUvBPX_aWjREC-XfKFmGxFsD Views:	0 Size:	521.7 KB ID:	937515

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I missed the homemade part somehow. Those are straight out of a store-bought freezer bag.

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, Attjack I’m hoping to try from scratch. Frozen are too easy!🤣 And can flavor them my way. (We love the frozen bagged ones too.)
      Last edited by Texas Larry; November 10, 2020, 04:26 PM.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang, these look great.

Regular tater tots are most often baked, so if you can close the lid on your grill and have reasonable temperature control you should be good. To get them crisp and brown you should give them a light coating of oil before cooking - an oil sprayer or canned cooking spray works best for this.

Attjack and I were typing our replies at the same time!

Comment

I was thinking of making some but frying them. Getting an air fryer soon to try it that way. Didn't think about grilling but with a spritz of oil grilling on high heat should work almost like air frying since there is still a lot of air flow in a grill. Now you have made me think of doing it on my Traeger for that hint of smoke.

Comment

I have to think the recipe for tater tots on serious eats would be a good place to start, shouldn't be hard to do on a grill, maybe low for awhile oiled then high heat to crisp?

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          This looks like the answer. Nice post

I think Ernest just made some tater tots....but the photo is lost in never never land with the recent changes in the board. Perhaps he can point you in a direction. Not sure how he made them, but they looked good!

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Deep fried in beef tallow

Looking forward to pics!

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. May try to adapt the serious eats recipe soon. Will let you know.

Comment

Texas Larry you can buy they won't be as crispy.
            Some just have to be deep fried. There's no way around it. If you deep fry at the right oil temperature, nothing gets greasy

Comment

have not tried this yet....

Comment

Can't beat a good plate of tots! Deep fried is the way to go. IMHO.

Comment

• Texas Larry
                  Texas Larry commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, so I hear. But I wanna try another way. Wont be this week tho.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here