Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twice baked potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twice baked potatoes

I think (always dangerous) I read some where that you can makeup the potatoes and refrigerate or freeze them until ready to finish them. I would like to bake them, prepare and stuff them and then finish the next day.
    While I'm at it, do you have a favorite recipe? Serving them with Tri Tip.
    As a back story I called my youngest Daughter and asked if she wanted any gulf shrimp. Of course she did, duh. But when I told her they were head on she replied she wouldn't behead them. So I said I would do it for her. She text me later saying "You know since we're coming up there (she's 50 miles away) a tri tip sure would be good.....................guess I'm cooking for them also.

I’ve never frozen any, but occasionally buy refridged ones outta HV’s meat case when they’re on sale, makes an easy snack or work lunch

Comment

You shouldn't have any problem with that plan.

Comment

Ya gotta take care of the kids. And you are lucky that she is close enough to drive home. Our son is in TX while we are in VA - no way to make a quick visit, and with covid it ain't happening...

Comment

I have done this several times with great success. I do the cooking when our group goes to vintage motorcycle events. Always a big hit.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            What Vintage Iron are ye straddlin, at present, amigo?

My last ride was a '50 45" Flathead, bought in 1987 from The Shop, in Ventura, CA...Fabian Dilello was th man, then; they restored a great many of Steve McQueens extensive collection, an had Ariels, Hendersons, Excelsiors, etc. aplenty on th showroom floor...

Got a pic of my Gpa from previous to WWI, on his harley...reckon it's in Th Blood, Brother!

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a '69 Triumph 5oo twin (almost vintage)

My wife is in charge of the twice baked - day one we cook twice as many potatoes as we will eat.

She cuts the first baked in half and spoons out the middle. She is careful not to get too close to the skin. With a fork, She mixes the potato with a dollop or two of sour cream, butter, cheddar cheese, bacon and a bit of salt and pepper. She puts the stuffing back into the potato and puts the two halves back together. She wraps tightly in foil.

Her caution: bake at no more than 350 and for no longer than an hour. Sometimes I put in them smoker at a lower temp (225-250 for two hours). When done, she separates and sprinkles with chives and a sometimes a bit more bacon. She has done the broil thing on occasion - a bit more cheddar cheese and bacon. It makes for a nice appearance but she does not like that as much. She puts out sour cream, bacon and chives for anyone who wants more.
          Last edited by tbob4; October 10, 2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yum!!!!

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds good thanks

My daughter gets a 5 pound sack of russet potatoes and makes all into twice baked. Starts by oven baking the spuds, then cuts in half long way. Scoops out the potato and puts it into the Kitchen Aid along with butter, a bag of grated cheddar, a healthy hand full of chopped chives, some sour cream (if we have it). Stirs it up in the KA adding milk until it looks right. Spoons it back into the skins and freezes them. To use, she warms the frozen spuds in the microwave then browns the tops in the toaster oven. Keeps us in twice baked potatoes for a couple of months, and the last is as good as the first. So, yes they can be frozen.

Comment

Never done it, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t be great after a day in the fridge, or even frozen as johnec00 does. Seems like a great plan!

...as does the tri-tip!
            Last edited by Santamarina; October 10, 2020, 10:15 PM.

Comment

My wife has been freezing twice baked potatoes for years. They do great. I have no clue on her method or recipe though.

Comment

We are nuts for this recipe for twice baked potatoes. https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food...aked-potatoes/ As it says in the recipe, don't add the scallions if you plan to freeze them. They freeze quite well.

Comment

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I saw this. Always good to hear it's good. I use a few of her recipes.

I make twice bakeds a lot, and almost always make them the day before, and hold them overnight. They do great. I don't really have a recipe, but always include sour cream, butter, Worcester, salt, pepper, cheese, onion, and bacon. Add butter, sour cream, or other liquid a little at a time, if you put too much in and they get too thin, it's hard to recover from.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here