Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twice fried French fries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twice fried French fries.

Did some bacon cheeseburgers on the Blackstone tonight. Delicious. Baked beans with extra bacon also pretty tasty. Star of the show were the French Fries which were twice cooked in beef tallow from 2 prime briskets which I had previously rendered. All I have to say is "wow." I’ll be doing this again.
    Attached Files

They look perfect!

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1! I keep telling myself I'm gonna do this, but I never have. I really need to.

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 you really do!

Yeow! Looks fantastic.

Comment

Great lookin' fries for sure.

Comment

On a similar note, just tried fries in the new air fryer. Nothing short of awesome:

Click image for larger version

Name:	A856BB1E-44DD-49D9-98D4-2EE79F7D3E15.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	897551

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks like way nice results, MB!!!
          Consider me skeptical, but I'm leanin t'wards convert, based 'pon yer photos...

Nuthin quite like some good tallow fries, exceptin fer some good bacon grease fries

Keepin it natchurl usually makes with th Flavour, ime...

P.S. Duck Fat makes fer some dang dang good fries, as well...

Jus Sayin...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 17, 2020, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          duct fat is like bacon fat. I'm not sure there is anything it does not help!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          ofelles You, Sir, are correct, in that I have not yet, to date, found anything that Duck Fat don't help, at least some.

They look perfect!

Comment

Yum!

Comment

Is it too late to pull a chair up to your dinnertable?

Kathryn

Comment

Mr. Bones - Frankly, I was skeptical, too. When Amazon recently had a $70 flash sale on a simple (no fancy screens, just a couple of dials) 6-qt fryer from Cosori, I decided to see what all the fuss is about.

Loosely followed ATK's method:

> 3 small russets, peeled and ends trimmed to square them off a bit.
              > cut into fairly hefty 1/2" thick fries.
              > soaked in cold tap water (rinsed a couple of times)
              > soaked in hot tap water for 10-15 min. to remove starch
              > thoroughly dried then tossed in a big bowl with 1/2 TBSP canola oil to coat
              > into the fryer basket in a single layer; didn't preheat the fryer
              > 350 F for 8 minutes then back into the bowl for a few seconds to toss; then back into the fryer basket
              > 350 F for 5 minutes then toss again in the bowl
              > in the bowl, add another 1/2 TBSP oil and about 1/4 tsp salt and toss
              > back into the fryer at 380 F until golden brown, tossing every 5 minutes in the bowl ... 15 minutes total in this case

They came out pretty darn good with soft innards and a nice crunchy outside. Cleanup was as easy as wiping out the fryer basket with a paper towel ... NO oil to dispose of.

Next time, I'll use a properly flavorful fat ... maybe from a duck ... and season with something more interesting than plain old salt.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                HO Lee Carp, Sounds Both Dee-Licious, an a whole Dang buncha work... might try me it out, if th opportunity presents itsef, in a proper good finanacial sitchiation....

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh lordy, I sniff a potential purchase around the bend, thanks to you, Mike ( MBMorgan ) . I've resisted Air Fryers and Pellet Cookers because I see them as nice convection ovens, of which I have three built in my kitchen. My stepdaughter has an air fryer and uses it more than the Joule, the FoodSaver, and the Instant Pot that we bought for her. Go figure.

Those french fries are pretty impressive. Does it work as well with, dare I say it, storebought fries?

K.
                Last edited by fzxdoc; August 18, 2020, 02:17 PM.

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc - Convection cookers is EXACTLY what they are. The "air fryer" is basically an electric coil (just like you’d find on an electric cooktop) suspended over the fry basket with a fan to push hot air. If you decide to give one a try, I’d say that bigger is better ... like something close to 6 qt. I’d steer clear of any kind of fancy interface with presets and stick with simple dial(s). So far, the easy cleanup combined with the lack of meed to deal with oil disposal has us pretty happy.

McDonald's used beef fat for a long time. That is why their fries were so popular...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here