Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can't leave well enough alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't leave well enough alone

Wednesday, mid week. I usually try to cook on Wednesdays but the weather is bad and that has made me feel rotten. Made fresh Buns, yesterday and we cooked Pulled Pork over the weekend, so HWMO decided he'd prefer to just do BBQ Sammiches for dinner. that's great cause I am just NOT up to hours at the counter.

but, as the title tells you, I cannot leave well enough alone. HWMO loves Au Gratin potatoes. We don't make them often because they ARE a hassle. unless you have a mandoline. I had never spent the money on a good one, before but, with the kidlets gone, I finally bought one. So, Potatoes AuGratin beside the BBQ, tonight. Goes very easily with the mandolin.

Here's the recipe:

2 pounds russet or other low starch potato sliced 1/8" or thinner
    3 cups heavy cream
    1 TBSP Kosher salt (or salt to preference)
    1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper (adjusted for taste)
    1/8 tsp fresh nutmeg
    1 large or two medium garlic cloves, smashed
    grated cheeses. I like to choose my cheeses according to the meat for the evening.

wash & slice potatoes. place them in heavy bottomed pot and add everything except the cheese. heat over medium/high heat until cream boils. I generally start on medium and gradually edge upward until I reach a boil. stir occasionally but carefully to avoid scorching. The easiest way IMHO, to stir is simply to put my spoon on the side of the pot and just move the spoon around the edges of the circle in the pot. this moves all the potatoes as one mass but does a very good job of stirring the cream on the bottom of the pan.

When the cream comes to a boil, transfer the potatoes into a casserole (I use a large soufflé dish) transfer them a few at a time so that you can find the garlic and remove it. layer the potatoes into the casserole, then pour the cream over them. You can stop at half the dish and put a layer of cheese there, then continue with the potatoes and top with remaining cheese.

bake at 400 until the potatoes are fork tender and the cheese has melted, bubbly and browned.

Remember, Cooking is a Sacred Endeavour

ENJOY!!

Karon Adams Any pics yet, Karon?

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      still learning the camera. I have some but it is really dark and grainy. but, once I get the hang of it, the pics are going to be nice! and there will be videos so you can see and hear the bubbling of the cream!

• Ray
      Ray commented
      Editing a comment
      That will be very cool!

Potatoes au gratin is always nice, one of my favorites. It is great with most meat. However, I never "pre-boil" the taters when I make it. I just slice them with the mandolin, layer it all in a casserole (potatoes, cheese and cream), and place the casserole in the oven. That's it.

As a bonus I sprinkle finely chopped smoked bacon in the dish, it just adds that little extra.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, and I was so air headed that I didn't think about bacon. how stupid is THAT? when HWMO came home, his first question was, "What? You didn't want to sacrifice any of your precious bacon for this?" I made like Homer Simpson or one of the folks on the V-8 commercials! I cannot BELIEVE I didn't think of it!!! It will go in!!!

LOL! I've done the same thing many times. I think that's why I love cooking, you never stop learning.

Comment

I also like to add bacon and thinly sliced onion between the layers. Sometimes i substitute bacon with dried porcini mushrooms (rehydrated and finely sliced) and mix some mascarpone with the cream..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here