Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make perfect hash browns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you make perfect hash browns?

So the wife is very particular about hash browns. We recently got a Blackstone. In her words (literally) she likes them "crispy and not too thick yet potatoey". I can attempt to interpret that means crispy on both sides with a potatoey "filler" maybe 1/4" thick. I'm not as critical as her. Anyone have a method that meets that "criteria"? I'm using a lot of quotation marks because it's difficult to interpret what exactly she's aiming for.

My best yet.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Whataburger made a push down to Central Florida a few years back and I fell in love with them. You can keep your trend lemming burger chains like Five Guys, Shack Shack, etc.

Alas, they didn't do their homework and their supply chain just wasn't up to the task. They retreated and now, a few empty buildings are all that's left.

Now, when I travel up North Florida (you know, the Southern part of the state), you can still find a smattering of them.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Whataburger’s rule 👍👍👍

I watched a great Youtube video about this. The guy did make perfect-looking hash browns and it was a laborious process.

Comment

I shred my potatoes (I find semi-waxy like Yukon Gold works the best), put them in cheesecloth and squeeze all the water I can out of them, put them in a glass bowl and microwave them five times for a minute each stirring between, then fry them in a cast iron skillet with beef tallow. They're perfect every time.

Comment

I use my waffle maker to make hash browns. Works great.
        Last edited by ssandy_561; June 22, 2019, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Here’s a picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A54A2D96-3244-49FF-9488-516E4C66571B.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	698882

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been trying to get the wife to agree to making room for a waffle iron for years (we have a lot of gadgets), your picture FINALLY got me approval Thanks, and awesome idea.

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            We also make brownies and quesadillas in our waffle maker.

• Bigmagic
            Bigmagic commented
            Editing a comment
            Beeeeautiful!

The trick is a lot of oil, and don't touch them.

Comment

Try the boxed dried potatoes. You re-constitute them in water and it's what Waffle House uses. Medium high heat, a decent amount of oil, a thin layer of potato, very little touching, and flip only once it develops a golden thick crust would be my suggestion. A "pro" tip would be to have a little extra you can peek at and test the doneness.

Comment

After shredding, use a potato ricer to squeeze as much water as you can from them. After that, see texastweeter post above.

Comment

Practice!

Comment

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Like they say the more you practice the luckier you get.

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  holehogg On the other hand, you can't practice unless you get lucky! ;-)

Oh HouseHomey ..... Calling for HouseHomey........

Comment

One word: Ore-Ida. Or is that two words......?

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I dunno, but ya used five explainin it!

I shred them and then use a potato ricer to squeeze out water before frying. But, it is an art of how much water to squeeze out.

My guilty pleasure is McDonald's hash browns!

Comment

I have a blue rhino from Lowe’s, we use frozen pre shred potatoes, any brand available is fine. Just find out if she wants hash brown stir fry, or something with structure. Those things are fun as hell to cook on! Make her 5 or 6 different testers. If that fails take her to Waffle House.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here