Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tater Tot Casserole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tater Tot Casserole

Although the Tater Tot Casserole isn't anything new, most recipes call for it to be an all in one type dish which includes some protein like ground beef or breakfast sausage. All good for sure, but we just wanted a starchy side dish to go with our Memorial Day grilled chicken dinner, so I decide to throw together a tot casserole on the fly with what I had on hand. Came out pretty dang good so I thought I'd share it with you all.

Course: Dinner
    Cuisine: American
    Makes: 6 to 8 servings
    Takes: 20 minutes to prep and 60 minutes to bake (or smoke if you prefer)

Ingredients

1-28 ounce bag of frozen Tater Tots
    4-5 ounces of cream cheese
    4-5 ounces of sour cream
    1 tablespoon of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce
    8 ounce package of grated cheddar jack cheese
    5-6 ounces of grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1-3 ounce can of French's Fried Onions
    1 tablespoon of salt

Method

Let the cream cheese sit out on the counter to soften. Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, worcestershire, salt and cheddar jack cheese in a bowl. Incorporate the ingredients into a thick paste-like consistency. In a casserole dish, spray some non-stick oil and empty the bag of frozen tots into the bottom in a single layer. Take and daub teaspoons of the cheese mixture evenly over the top of the tots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tot cass 01.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	686402

Next take the grated sharp cheddar cheese and sprinkle that evenly over the top, followed by the entire can of fried onions.

Name:	tot cass 02.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	686403

Name:	tot cass 03.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	686404

Pre-heat your oven (or place into a smoker) to 350* and insert the casserole. Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes until all the cheeses are melted and bubbly. Allow to cool then serve.

Name:	tot cass 04.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	686405

Easy and relatively quick side dish to go along with barbecue or other main courses. Turns out really good, nothing better than cheesy tots. Try it with your next meal, great at home or for a tasty party dish.

TROUTMAN STEVE IS OUT, GOT SOME CHICKEN AND TOTS TO ENJOY !!

Nice! Here in Minnesota we call it hotdish. Casserole is the vessel it's made in. I have been known to use my smoker as an oven to avoid heating up the house. This would be a good dinner option.

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Many people would disagree about casserole being just the container that holds the food -- the word is often used for the food in the dish too.

"I brought a casserole."
      "Oooh, green bean casserole or tater tot casserole?"
      "That's a pretty casserole dish that you baked your tuna casserole in."

As for "hoddish" ... seems to be a mostly Minnesnowtan and upper Iowan alternative to "casserole." I never heard this term until I lived in northeast Iowa and made a passel of Minnesotan friends.

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      IowaGirl I don't mean to imply that's the terminology everywhere, just here.

I'm gonna try this!

Comment

Will have to try this. I don't know what it is about tater tots but when I see or hear the words my gut and ears perk up

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for sharing

Comment

This looks good. I’ve never made a savory style tater tot dish. We do make a tater tot breakfast dish in the CI that’s good, so I’ll have to give this a go. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe what he may be referring to is another tot dish where you add egg and crumbled breakfast type sausage to my recipe. Very good and filling, put hair on your chest IowaGirl (well mine anyway )

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            IowaGirl - I use a 12” CI skillet, fill with tater tots, then pour in a dozen eggs with cooked, crumbled sausage of your choose, chopped green Chile and top with shredded cheddar cheese. I bake for about an hour uncovered until the egg is cooked through. Let it sit for a bit, will be piping hot. I also make a green Chile sauce to top it with. It’s a belly filler for sure and a great brunch for friends!

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Filed away for future reference, barelfly. Thank you!

Troutman -- Not gonna go there!

That looks great, Steve. I suspect you could also use leftover cooked potatoes cut into chunks.

Comment

Cheesy comfort food style side! Looks great, and easy. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Easily one of my favorite dishes, hands down!

Comment

• Foehn Watts
                Foehn Watts commented
                Editing a comment
                Man, Troutman this is a fancy version--sounds great. Saving recipe. Round here it's: 2-3 lbs leanish burger (not too lean), Campbells Cream O'shroom over then tots to cover. I love the stuff. Never had it until I was in high-school.

Took this to my boyfriend's house, got a *polite* reaction. Turns out his mother made it frequently and not well. He and sisters still do not care for it; they will eat it but. . . This means more for me for breakfast as the boyfriend is now my husband. :-)
                Last edited by Foehn Watts; September 22, 2020, 03:53 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here