Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre cookin' potatoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre cookin' potatoes?

When I want fried taters, I microwave them until fully cooked. I then slice and pan fry them until crispy. This makes frying them much easier, but it also gave me an idea. Has anyone microwaved potatoes and then sliced them into fries and deep fried them? I'm thinkin' that would also work, but wanted to check here for guidance from anyone who has done it.

Yup. "twice cooked" fries is the way to go. Usually i parboil them so they are almost cooked. When you get that mushy exterior it aids in the crisping up (infact its almost necessary). Do some googling on parboiling for crispy potatoes. Just make sure you pat them dry before dropping them in the oil if you parboil instead of microwaving.

I would also slice before parboiling so that each fry has the mushy exterior. This is an excellent method for thick cut fries.

Comment

No matter how you cut them a good habit, if time allows, is to soak them in cold water before hand (preferably overnight). It will help remove any excess starch and will result in a crispier fried potato. As grantgallagher noted, drying them before hitting the oil is very important.

Comment

Sorry I'm on a Keto diet

Comment

Don't know about frying cooked potatoes, but I did smoke some leftover boiled small potatoes (skin on) and they were great!

Comment

That's how I always do home fries. I've never tried deep frying them though. It seems like it would work just as well. Another secret for great crispy fries is to fry them in beef tallow. Remember when McDonald's fries were good? That was when they were fried in beef tallow. When they tried to make them "healthy" they ruined them. This is my supplier. They make great stuff. https://fannieandflo.net/t/beef-tallow

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I managed fast food restaurants back in the late 70s, and I remember those 50 lb block cubes of tallow...

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              RonB yup, me too...Country Kitchen, Sambo's, Big Boy, Village Inn, Perkins, etc. are on my resume

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what come out when I give blood. I wondered where that went.

Alton Brown has a recipe called "tomorrow French fries".

Same idea. Baked until done then chilled in fridge overnight. Then sliced and deep fried. They turn out very good.

Comment

My family loves home fried potatoes for breakfast. I cut them up the night before, boil until ~75% done, then freeze. Frozen potatoes go from freezer to griddle in the morning. Actually, I like to pre-boil and freeze a stash of potatoes so I don’t have to cut/boil/freeze every time. Usually keep a few batches on hand.

Microwave works good too if I don’t have any frozen. Micro/boil does the cooking, griddle does the browning. Saves a lot of time and give good crispy fries!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here