Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potato Salad Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potato Salad Help

To put it blatantly my American potato salad sucks. I actually gave up trying to make it.

This is what I am hoping to achieve and also what I am not a fan of.

A heavly mustard potato salad is not my cup of tea.

I want it creamy, but not overly mayonnaisey.

I get terrible indigestion from raw onions but I can eat green onions.

The seasoning should be in the background with nothing overpowering the salad.

Any suggestions or recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This is my Grandmother's recipe. It does have onions, but you could omit or substitute with the green onions you mentioned. I add mustard and mayo sparingly until it tastes "right" for me. I think I'll make a batch today, thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tater salad.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	508161

Comment

Also try Meathead here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...o-salad-recipe
      i really like the taste. I like eggs in mine so I add 1 more. Also I found that when the eggs are done and cooked with the potatoes (15 mins) then the potatoes are over cooked to my liking. But still very good. Try it and let us know. I also sprinkle with smoked paprika
      Last edited by Nuke em; May 30, 2018, 12:48 PM. Reason: forgot the paprika

Comment

I just made baby potato salad which may scratch your itch. I halved and then cooked in the pressure cooker for 4 min. Then I added a packet of powdered ranch seasoning mix and mayo. It was quite good, and you could use something other than mayo like yogurt or sour cream for the wet ingredient ssandy_561. I look at this basic recipe as a blank canvas.

Comment

4lbs ret potatoes boiled and cubed
          1lb of bacon diced and fried up until crispy (drained, but save that bacon grease for cooking in black iron later!)
          16oz sour cream
          2Tbs mayo
          3 cups shredded sharp cheddar
          2 bunches of green onions diced
          salt and pepper to taste (I use smoked salt and fresh cracked pepper)

Mix together and let sit in fridge for an hour. Best potato salad in the world

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Move over Grandma!

Comment

Try adding some chopped apple and fresh green peas to a creamy potato salad, some finely diced jalapeños are great too.

Comment

Im a big fan of the bobby flay southwestern potato salad. You could omit the onions and add more green onions. Also, it is pretty spicy so if you dont want that to be the dominant flavor you may want to dial back on the chipotle. The recipe does include some mustard but its not super prominent at all.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds good - will have to check it out. Thanks!

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                EdF its to die for man. if you like that smokey heat that chipotle brings then you will love this

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here