Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast iron breakfast potato question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast iron breakfast potato question

I did breakfast potatoes in my Griswold 12" today. We rarely cook breakfast at home any more. Always seem too busy, gone fishing or something else. But today wife is home preparing taxes and I have a leisurely day of cleaning the garage and watching the Wild play the Anaheim Ducks later.

Anyhow for those of you who do breakfast potatoes (American fries) in cast iron do you start frying with raw potatoes or do you partially microwave them first. I started with raw and they started to brown on the outside within minutes. I figured they would be burnt black by the time the potato's cooked through.

I removed them from the pan put them in a bowl and microwaved on high for 3 minutes. They came out cooked nearly through I could have cut it back to 2 minutes probably.

Anyhow I returned them back to the cast iron and finished browning them up adding onions the last 5 minutes. Turned out awesome.

Now ironically as I sat down to eat Trisha's Southern cooking was on and she was making a breakfast skillet. First thing she did was throw raw potatoes in a cast iron skillet to fry them to a golden brown. Of course 30 seconds later they showed her removing perfectly golden brown potatoes from a cast iron skillet without a word of explanation how she achieved that.

So I defer to the experts here on what your methodology is for cast iron potatoes!
    Last edited by Frozen Smoke; February 17, 2018, 10:21 AM.

I love your use of 'ironically' in this post.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha! Good catch didn't notice it myself!

For breakfast potatoes I do one of two things: grate them on the big holes of a box grater, throw them in some water to remove starch, squeeze dry, then straight to the skillet; or, if I cut them into chunks, then I par cook them first (microwave, oven, sous vide), then into the skillet. But for me the skillet comes last, regardless.

Comment

I would just use a lower temp for the pan to start, then increase the temp when you feel the potatoes have a good start. Probably slower, but only makes one pan for clean up time.

Comment

I slice em & fry em in in bacon grease that I have cooked, plate em, then in go the eggs. Breakfast!
        Last edited by FireMan; February 17, 2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

If you are worried about them not cooking, put a top on the pan and don't peek too much. The top will hold heat in to help cook the potatoes. When close to done, remove the top - this will aid browning.

Comment

My way is to cut, soak in cold water to remove starch, place in skilllet and barely cover with cold oil. Then place on heat. By the time the potatoes are brown they will be cooked fully, and not greasy at all. For extra browning use duck fat.

Comment

Hi, what are breakfast potatoes? Is it basically a hash?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Shredded or small cubed are generally used with breakfast in the States. Shredded are called 'hash browns'.

I cube soak in water, then microwave for a couple minutes then into the hot cast iron skillet. tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.

Comment

Sounds like I'm on the right track by microwaving a few minutes to pre cook first. I have been researching this a bit and have now read on several blogs to cool your cubed or shredded potatoes in the fridge for a bit. Take them directly from the fridge to the hot pan. Supposedly to help crisp and give them that golden brown.

Comment

• Baltassar
                  Baltassar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you want to brown them after par cooking the main thing is to drain the well/pat them dry, depending. The main enemy of browning is steam.

If I cube them I par-boil them to cook through then throw them into skillet with oil/duck fat/goose fat/bacon grease (pick your fat) to fry to golden brown. If I grate I sometimes add grated Gruyére cheese then fry as potato pancakes. Good luck!

Comment

Get a CI skillet just past medium heat. Heat the oil just below smoke level. I love peanut oil for this. Use at least three table spoons or more for two medium size red potatoes. Cube you potatoes as close to the same size as possible. Toss them in what ever spice you like. Salt and black pepper maybe. Throw one in the pan. If if goes right to sizzle you are ready. Throw them all in. Move 'em around flpping them until completely covered in oil. Cover for 5 - 8 minutes. No peeky peeky like RonB says. Take cover off and stand there turning and flipping until all are golden brown on all sides. Then send them to me 'cauze I love 'em! I'll throw the egg in top! 😀😀

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170929_170130.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	456017

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                    Frozen Smoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Mudkat Seemed to me I had to keep them moving to get a good even golden brown without getting to dark. Love the pic! Especially the green grass and sunshine been a little short on both around here for awhile!!

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hear ya on the green grass although its snowing right now. I like that too. If it ain't green it better be snowing!

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If all goes well I'm cooking breakfast outdoors tomorow in CI and CS pans . Maybe I'll post some pics. Frozen Smoke

I like to get the pan warm. (325 F to 350 F) Then add my high temp oil, let that heat up for a bit, then I add the raw potatoes cubes. I do not presoak or microwave them before doing this. I add the potatoes to the skillet and fry, once I have some solid browning going on, I slide the pan into the oven at 450 F. I give it about 5 mins in the high heat, then I take the skillet out. I mix up the potatoes and then slide it back in the oven for another 3-4 mins. Always crispy, always tasty.

If I am making shredded browns, I simply fry them over medium high heat until they are brown, then I cut them into quarters and flip. I love adding some diced onion in there too.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You bet sir, I love the crisp that it gives the potatoes. 450 F works for me. See what works for you. And convection is even better. And everyone's oven is a bit different.
                    I also void my micro at all costs. Why use it when there is plenty of good charcoal or wood that needs to be put back into the carbon cycle? Frozen Smoke

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like a great method!

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, Ed! I am digging the avatar! EdF

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here