Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick & easy steakhouse thick sliced fried potatoes- technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick & easy steakhouse thick sliced fried potatoes- technique

Thick-sliced potatoes, fried to a golden crisp in much less time standing at the skillet than usual. The trick?

Microwave your potatoes, whole, on the 'baked potato' setting, until done. Then slice & fry!

This seems like an extra step but it actually eliminates a lot of time, and makes great delicious crispy fried potatoes. While your potatoes are microwaving ("baking") the majority of the cooking is being done, so you can be doing other things. The potatoes can be put aside to cool before slicing and frying, so this method also eliminates the time crunch frying potatoes usually causes. Then when it's time to fry, the potatoes have already been cooked, so frying to golden takes just a fraction of the time.

Gold potatoes work best, but you can use any potato you like for frying or baking.
    • Wash potatoes thoroughly, do not peel.
    • Place in microwave on the 'baked potato' setting. Many microwaves require you to enter the number of potatoes and it will calculate necessary cook time. If you have one that doesn't have the auto feature, microwave on High (1100 W) for about 13 min for 3 or 4 potatoes (adjust to your amount), or until done to normal baked potato consistency.
    • Let cool before slicing. Hot potatoes are almost impossible to handle.
    • Slice 'em thick, 3/8"-1/2" or so. Since the potatoes are cooked they will be quite soft, so thin slicing is not an option.
    • While slicing, preheat your skillet (cast iron or nonstick) with 1/4" or so of oil- vegetable, canola or corn oil, it doesn't matter. Avoid olive oil.
    • When oil is heated, add potato slices carefully. Watch them, as they'll brown much quicker than raw potatoes.
    • Flip when ready, and lightly salt the browned side. Repeat.
    • Place on paper towel-lined plate or dish to absorb excess oil. Serve promptly when all potatoes are finished frying.

Last edited by Huskee; July 11, 2014, 11:38 PM.

This sounds good.

I use red potatoes, slice bout 1/4 inch before I microwave them, them mix in a little oil and bbq rub, nuke them for about three minutes, then grill them until crispy.

Comment

How about using bacon grease instead of oil? That is what I use when I do potatoes

Comment

Not a bad idea, I do that with eggs sometimes.

Comment

I have scrambled eggs nearly every day for breakfast as we have 13 chickens. Going to try that tomorrow

Comment

I could eat eggs every meal. I have chickens too.

Comment

Thanks for your post - i have done the same thing with potato wedges and even with baked potatoes finished in the oven. Always felt ashamed about taking a short-cut but i can't tell any difference between par-boiled and pre-nuked the end result is always great. When i feel a little lazy i even peel potatoes slice them into cubes and nuke them with a little water covered with cling wrap until tender - drain the water and cover with butter and salt and pepper. Tasty.....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here