Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hasselback Potatoes With Duck Fat Spray (no kidding)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasselback Potatoes With Duck Fat Spray (no kidding)

Tried an proven old recipe with a slightly new twist last night. Looking for something with a "wow" factor to serve with prime rib at Christmas so a test run was in order. After normal prep and before adding the salt & pepper I applied a good dose of Duck Fat Spray. Duck Fat Spray is a Nebraska product I can find locally in most any store but I see they now sell it on Amazon. It's pricey ($8.49 - $9.99). I've tried it on chicken and turkey but I think it gets lost on poultry. It really loves potatoes. This was at 1 hour at 425 and realistically should have gone 1 hour at 450.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	423101

Love hasselbacks. After cutting cross wise I turn them and cut length wise as well

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      customtrim : At what temp do you bake them?

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Sgt Tyree i do 425 in a cast ir on skillet. Smother the potatoe with butter after cutting and before going in the oven

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      customtrim : I'll give it a try in CI. That should amp up the temp.

Duck Fat Spray - fantastic stuff!!! I would rank it up there with Dorothy Lynch for Nebraska products. Then again, I am a Husker homer. Try the Duck Fat Spray on popcorn instead of butter...just sayin'.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Right on brother! Every now & then I will spice up Dorothy with some cayenne to give her a little bite. Back when I was a kid, mom used to get upset that I would use DL on just about everything. Ketchup on my burger? Nope, DL. Ha!

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Come to think of it, I have never dipped my Runza in DL. Hmm...I might have to give it a go this weekend. Speaking of Runza, our local guy in Papio does a fantastic job. Twice a year we order the mini Runzas for football parties and he will cook them up for us that morning. I like the minis over the regulars and that is saying something!

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      Craigar ; I feel sorry for those who have never had a Runza. I like dipping mine in good old yellow mustard. When they used to have those awesome Wimmer's Polish dogs on the menu the mustard flowed like water here. For all the years i've been using DL it never dawned on me until earlier this year when I read their recommendation to use if for barbecue sauce. Love it on chicken thighs.

That looks fantastic. I am always looking for a new potato option. Thanks.

Comment

Looking mighty good to me.

Comment

I love taters but the Dr. said no.

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
          Sgt Tyree commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a doctor that gave me a book to read about the dangers of drinking. I ended up giving up reading. (Seriously I understand but couldn't resist the old Henny Youngman joke). Be well.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          He has me on a low carb diet.

• Sgt Tyree
          Sgt Tyree commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang! Life was a lot more fun when we weren't trying to be healthy. Still think on most days my doctor is full of it. Felt better before I ever met the son of a beefsteak. Anyway I limit myself to one potato every couple of weeks. Throw that rule out over Christmas and New Years. Again, be well.

Duck fat makes everything taste better!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here