Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lard + potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lard + potatoes

Hi all, I just got some rendered leaf lard at the butcher shop, and would like to make a potato side dish to complement a nice prime ribeye steak. It should be crispy! In fact potato chips are an idea, but I don't think I have enough lard to deep fry. Any ideas? what is the key to crunchy crispiness?

Though it may not be exactly what you have in mind, this method works: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...es-recipe.html

Check the "read the whole story" link near the top. You can substitute your lard for duck fat.

Comment

• progenitive
      progenitive commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF thanks! This looks very close to what I'm looking for although I expected a frying operation. This method is more economical with the (expensive) fat I think.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      In my experience they come out better than frying. But I don't deep fry much the last few years because I hate dealing with the mess.

• Gooner-que
      Gooner-que commented
      Editing a comment
      I found that deep frying in a wok makes it much less messy, the wok's width compared to the oil is a built in splatter catch.

Take them taters, wedge 'em up to desired size, add some seasonin' what floats yer boat, then fry in lard in Cast Iron skillet, (deep is preferable...)

(BTW, lard n' taters is two o' my favourite food groups!!!)
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 4, 2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

How about baked potatoes with crisp skin? I think this is also from Serious Eats. Anyway, bake the potatoes at 450* to 210* internal, then rub with your lard. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes to crisp the skin.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Lovin' it!!!

American fries aka home fries are my favorite potatoes. You can get them REALLY crispy given enough fat. I think that is essentially what Mr. Bones is saying as well. The key is not to turn too often. As with many things, too much heat is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by JCGrill View Post
        American fries aka home fries are my favorite potatoes. You can get them REALLY crispy given enough fat. I think that is essentially what Mr. Bones is saying as well. The key is not to turn too often. As with many things, too much heat is bad.
        Yeah, what JCGrill said!!!
        At various times/places in my life, I've also seen/heard 'em called Cottage Fries, Steak Fries, etc. Fergot to mention: It goes without sayin', leave th' skin on. Yum. Crunch. Repeat.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 4, 2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Incidentally, a lot of restaurants deep fry their home fries. I'm not a fan. Pan fried are so much better.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on pan-fried. Good ol' Cast Iron...

Enter Cast Iron

Comment

Hi All, thanks for the great suggestions. I decided to go with suggestion from SeriousEats linked by EdF .

Followed the recipe exactly except used lard instead of duck fat (and the recipe does say lard would work), and cut the quantity back for two people.

Lard + potatoes do indeed taste good. The resulting potatoes after roasting were creamy in texture inside, and crisp on the outside. But I think it would be a stretch to call them "ultra-crispy" as the name of the recipe indicates. One thing I might try is to cut them into smaller pieces next time. The recipe said "2 inch pieces", which is a bit ambiguous to me. I made the longest dimension on each piece about 2 inches.

Here's a photo of the potatoes before the roasting step.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	potatoes before roasting IMG_1510.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	328924

And the final product can be seen on the plate below...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	potatoes plated.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	328925

Comment

Congrats. I'm glad it worked out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here