Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled potatoes

For some reason just straight forward grilled potatoes have always frustrated me. I just never seem to get the texture I want. My process had been to slice, then par cook in the microwave. Then finish on the grill with a little oil and salt. Usually way to under cooked. So I left some russet unpeeled, "in their jackets" and simmered until tender. I sliced them and seared on the grill, but still unfinished texture. I'm guessing leaving them whole unpeeled the starch glued then together. They were tender when tested in the water, then unpleasant hard after searing, (grill grates, just one side). Admittedly I don't pay as much attention to the potatoes as the meat, I'm not going to let a steak sit. It's embarrassing to crank out a great steak only to have the potatoes be too firm. Usually using run of the mill russets. I've had better luck with gold but I always seem to have russets on hand. Anyone have a go to grilled potatoe method?

I know from experience you have to take them up toward the boilng point for quite a while. It's been a while so I don't have the exact timing to share. I cooked them whole with therm probes in them. They took For. Ev. Er. So much easier to nuke 'em or make mashed that I quite trying. I remember thinking I'd have been better off wrapping them in foil and putting int he fire than cooking nekkid on the grate, they got real tough like you're saying.

Comment

• Jeff_Carley
      Jeff_Carley commented
      Editing a comment
      Sandlot throw back....completely agree with you. i had them on my PBC for 2 hours and they were barely affected.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol Jeff_Carley thanks for that

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I find russets are best. Wrapped in foil, whole. Just like baking in an oven. I've also tried wedges, par-boiled till the outer surface gets soft, then throwing them on the grates. It works fine, but for the extra work and dishes involved, not really worth the extra effort.

I've been mostly happy slicing them less than 1/2" inch thick(skin on) brushing them with oil, sprinkling them with my Simon & Guafunkle rub, grilling them 3 - 4 minutes on each side and and then moving them to,indirect to roast the rest of the way while I grill my meat 10 minutes or so. That way you can cook them to your desired tenderness.

Comment

I asked the question awhile back about SV potatoes on the grill. One of my mistakes was that I cooked them at the same temp as the steak. I tried to then grill for quite some time to make up for the temp difference. The outcome was not good. When asking about SV and grilled potatoes, I got feedback but if I recall correctly, the opinion was that SV and grilling of potatoes don't really mix. Something I have done in the past - slice potatoes, season, put some oil on them and put them in foil next to what you are smoking. If you are in the 225 degree zone or below, 2 hours is good and you can grill them. The problem is that if you overshoot the temp or go too long, they might as well be mashed.

Comment

Ever try meatheads salted potatoes they are good

Comment

• Jeff_Carley
          Jeff_Carley commented
          Editing a comment
          i will now. thanks for the advice

I buy small Red or Gold skin potato's. Variety's that are more waxy than starchy. Slice them in half. Toss them in Olive Oil and season with a blend of garlic salt, Lowery's seasoning salt, lemon pepper, and oregano. Grill them on Medium heat for about 20 to 30 minutes (depending on heat and grill) turning every 5 minutes. Perfect every time!

Comment

I start out by wrapping the potatoes in foil with a little olive oil. I place them just to the left of the hot side and let them bake for 30-40 minutes or so turning 2 or 3 times. When they are soft I remove the foil and finish them on the hot side. Near perfect most of the time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	267917

Comment

Try this kind of approach. Use the grill for the roasting part. Roughing up the exterior is really important. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/12/t...toes-ever.html

Cast iron pan isn't a bad idea at all.

Comment

I parboil, rinse, roll in mayonnaise, sprinkle with Meathead's Memphis Dust, and grill. They get really crisp!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              Parboil whole? With the skins? I'm lost... I want more info on this, I want me some crispy grilled potatoes!

• Michael Brinton
              Michael Brinton commented
              Editing a comment
              I would say all the way boil, in their jackets. You should be able to slip a knife through with zero resistance. Cut them in half grease, spice, grill cut side over high heat. Undercooked are always noticeable. I try to go easy cooking the skin side, it can dry them out.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              I made up some of Meathead's Mojo Mayo tonight, I'm gonna use it tomorrow to grill some potatoes! Hopefully, it'll go well!

Meathead the mayo/Memphis dust is definitely up next. I boiled until tender, probed at 203-5. Then when the cooled slightly I got jumpy and steamed then another ten minutes . Oil, rosemary, salt, grill grates, got it finally. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127_181119.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	268233

Comment

I usually do them in slices then toss with olive oil or butter whatever seasonings, wrap in tin foil and grill about 20-30 min

Comment

I like a mix of red and gold I slice them put them in foil with olive oil garlic cloves sliced onion and salt and pepper,(maybe thyme or rosemary if I'm feeling fancy) wrap put on the indirect side for about forty five to an hour

Comment

This sounds like a prefect time to try a trip into the pressure cooker and then follow Meathead's method. Potatos from the pressure cooker take on a whole new taste.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now I have to try that, being a pressure cooker aficionado. How long? High pressure?

• Michael Brinton
                    Michael Brinton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That helps me add to the list, (why I need to buy a pressure cooker).

I grilled potatoes a couple weeks ago and they were AMAZING! I picked out a couple big potatoes with a thin translucent skin, washed, and sliced them thin. Then shifted them over to flatten it out a little bit. Covered them in butter, then seasoned them with Meatheads Butchers Block Seasoning, smoked onion powder and seasoned salt. (Season with whatever you like most). I wrapped them with HD tin foil, and stuck in a temp probe. Cooked at 325 in indirect heat until they reached 210 degrees. That’s it. They were perfect. When they’re done, don’t pull them off till you’re ready to eat. Unwrap and toss on the plate. Don’t burn your tongue! Haha

Click image for larger version

Name:	03E23854-7941-4C0F-B16B-986017154B3E.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	460893Click image for larger version

Name:	B14946C2-6811-4FE2-9A44-C23F79E2F69D.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	460894
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here