Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

BF used to hate sweet potatoes because he thought the only way they were done was that sickeningly sweet side served at Thanksgiving. I made this and convinced him otherwise.

The measurements are vague because this is basically improvised.

One large sweet potato, as close in shape to a russet as you can find
    About 1/2 lb loose sage sausage
    1 onion (size based on how much you like onion, can be omitted), chopped
    8oz shredded cheese - I like the shredded cheese mixes you can find in the dairy case, any melty cheese will do

Wash the potato and slice in half lengthwise. Place cut side down on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 350F for 45 min or until tender. Allow to cool to the touch and carefully scrape out the insides into a bowl, leaving the skins to stuff.

In a frying pan, saute the onion until translucent. Add the loose sausage and cook until done. Drain off the fat and add onion and sausage mixture to the bowl with the sweet potato innards. Mix well. Add cheese to desired cheesiness, reserving some to top the potato.

Stuff the potato skins (there will be filling left over), top with cheese, and bake until cheese is golden. Remove from oven and serve.

A good sized potato will yield four servings (more if you count the left over filling).

Oh my gosh, that sounds amazing! I have to try it. Never thought of stuffing them with sausage. I love sweet potatoes, but only if they are NOT done in the traditional gross marshmallow way.

Comment

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      For Thanksgiving I make curried sweet potatoes. I'll post that recipe soon.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds awesome too!

Sounds great! I like Grilling sweet potato planks with taco seasoning. They don't need extra sugar, they are sweet enough when baked.

Comment

Now with the sausage, onion, and cheese added to basically mashed sweet potatoes that sounds pretty good.

Comment

Love me some sweet taters

Comment

That sounds delicious. Something I have to try sometime. Thank-you!

Comment

Atalanta, my wife is a huge sweet potato fan - I have to be in the mood. This recipe looks awesome to me. Thanks!

Comment

Yummy! I will try this one for sure.

Comment

Thank you for a terrific recipe. It will get used many times after fine results. Was looking for a new tator recipe yesterday and came across yours. Only changes I implemented were I used mild Italian sausage and added a heaping teaspoon of ground sage. I also had a small amount of Piave, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Parmigiano-Grana Padano. Which I grated a generous portion of on with marvelous results. Thanks again!

Comment

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like a delicious modification!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here