Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's ur fav leftover mashed potatoes dish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's ur fav leftover mashed potatoes dish

I seemed to have way over done the mashed potatoes this year. I've got pounds and pounds of it. What are some of your favorite ways to reuse mashed potatoes as a different dish. I'll definitely make some shepards pie. What are your go to recipes?

I've been eating mashed potatoes for four days now as mashed potatoes and gravey......

Comment

Bubble and Squeak! Mix in some leftover veggies, especially green beans and broccoli, then fry it up .... called bubble and squeak cause of the noise it makes!

Comment

Also, great for making some shepherd's pie

Comment

Trash! I hate leftover potatoes, to me they never reheat well. My wife will fry little patties of them, and they're ok to me that way I guess, kinda like little hashbrowns.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee - ask your wife to mix in some shredded Cheddar cheese and some chopped crisp bacon when she makes the little patties - you will become a believer.

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB, I saw something like that on line. Looks good!

Wow, so many options. Mashed taters go with anything, almost as much as bacon. Pancakes, soup, casserole, quesadillas. I bet the interwebs have thousands of ideas out there. Whatever you do with them, as with everything else, I recommend you add bacon.

Comment

Make potato cakes out of them.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I second this!

I always enjoy making potato cakes out of leftover mashed taters. I add some stuff, sometimes... diced onions, green onions, crumbled bacon, diced ham, etc. Depends on what's on hand. Make 'em plain, or make 'em 'Loaded'! Have fun!

Oops! Forgot CHEESE!!!! D'oh!!!!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 27, 2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

There is a local restaurant that shapes mashed potatoes into smallish sized balls and deep fries them. Awesome.

I don't think adding crisp bacon and cheddar cheese would hurt either.

Comment

My Dad used to mix them with "stuff" like onions and fry them. Yum Yum Yum.

Comment

This year our after-thanksgiving breakfast feast included a 50/50 mix of potatoes and dressing fried up a la potato pancakes (think latkes). Topped with a couple of over easy eggs and I can't imagine why I haven't had my 2nd heart attack !

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That sounds really good.

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee, my friend did the mashed potatoes and he folded in some chopped kale. Hmmmm, I thought, until we tasted them. They were delicious, and I can only think of one other place I would toss kale....

Soup. Sautee some onions, toss in the celery heart diced up fine along with the leaves, some chicken stock, your left over smashed taters and voila! Easy tasty tater soup.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
                    Bubble and Squeak! Mix in some leftover veggies, especially green beans and broccoli, then fry it up .... called bubble and squeak cause of the noise it makes!

I didnt know it had a name! I fry some onions in a non stick pan, then mix in the potatoes and some cheese and fry 'em all up until crispy brown.

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My step-father is from Wales and that's what he calls it

• JCBBQ
                      JCBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've lived in the UK for over 7 years at various times in my life. I've hear the term, just never knew what it was.

Besides tater patties, I really enjoy a Greek dip called, Skordalia. Extremely simple to make. 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes, 4 garlic cloves, minced, 1/4 cup quality olive oil, (add more or less to preference), 2-3 Tbsps of white wine vinegar. Blend until smooth. Folks, you have to love garlic and olive oil for this one. Chill the dip. Serve cold and smear on fresh pita bread triangles. Adjust garlic, olive oil,and vinegar to taste. I don't have a recipe as this is just in my odd, and confused head.

Comment

• Craigar
                      Craigar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whoa! I might have to run this one by wifey as I just might have found another use for her leftover taters. Thanks for sharing!

This sounds weird, I know. But one of my favorites as a kind was to take a hotdog in a bun and add a scoop of mashed taters with some cheese on top and bake in the toaster oven until the cheese gets nice and melty and the bun is toasted. It was inspired by something we had for school lunch in elementary school where they fried up a slice of baloney with mashed potatoes and cheese on top. Pretty darn good, I must say, and I was a really picky eater.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here