Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Smashed" potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Smashed" potatoes

I got the idea for this from a magazine article I read years ago. The wife and I love hash browns, and I sometimes buy those little golf-ball sized potatoes because I can dice up whatever I need and there's no waste. Being lazy, I remembered the "smashed" idea, so here's my take on it.
    1. Take a few of the small potatoes and toss them into the microwave on high for 2.5 min. or so. You want them to be soft all the way thru ( I leave the skin on).
    2. Heat up a pan with some oil, put in the potatoes and with a clean, flat-bottomed glass, smash them flat so that they're about 1/4" or so thick.
    3. Fry them nice and crispy on both sides. Seasoning is up to you.
    Quick and easy "smashed" style hash browns!

edit:
    As Im poking thru the recipes, I found a section for "potatoes" so maybe this should have been posted there. Doh! I only do this for breakfast so...
    Last edited by Abom; September 12, 2016, 09:02 AM.

Sounds great to me.

Comment

This sounds awesome. These would be awesome in that K7 and a cast iron griddle.

Comment

Not sure why I've never thought of this. To make it even easier (as if that was possible) is they sell those little potatoes in a "steamer bag" Just take it out of the fridge and toss it into the microwave.

Comment

I make a rendition of these for dinner quite often. I boil them first, never thought of the microwave. Then I lay them out on a cookie sheet and smash them with a potato masher. Cover in olive oil and minced garlic, salt, pepper and shredded Parmesan cheese and bake until they're golden brown. Makes for a fantastic starch side.

Comment

when i hear smashed potatoes i always think of somebody stomping on them with their feet or throwing them against a brick wall. i don't know what's wrong with me.

it sounds like a potato burger!

Comment

I love doing taters like that. Way to go!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here