Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need Some Help Grilling Sweet Potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Need Some Help Grilling Sweet Potatoes

My daughter asked for Sweet Potatoes to go with our steak tonight. Does anyone have a good recipe/technique for grilling Sweet Potatoes? It doesn't have to be extravagant. It could be as simple as sliced with EVO and seasoning or something more than that. Looking for suggestions on how to prepare, how long to cook, what temperature, etc. Thanks!

Why not even simpler? Sweet potatoes wrapped in foil and baked are great. Would be easy to cook them that way on the grill, too.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      That has been a staple in our house for many years. I highly recommend this.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Slice and Dice, combine with veggie sometimes too.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      We'll nuke them a little first and throw on the grill naked.

I have had good results from both grilled recipes from the free side.

My wife like it best when I follow Meatheads recipe for grilled Russet potatoes (but using sweet potatoes). We usually clean, cut and microwave for 5 minutes prior to going on the grill to speed things along. The sweet potatoes tend to cook faster than Russet potatoes and i cook them until toothpick/probe tender.
    Potatoes are a food whose center and skin need separate treatment. For baked potatoes, we want a soft, moist, fluffy inside, and a dry, crisp skin.

I have also done them grilled hasselback, which also turned out well.
    If your side dishes seem a bit tired, try a new twist with grilled hasselback sweet potatoes. Sliced partially through, the sweet potatoes begin to open up like an accordion, making for a stunning presentation. A flavorful blend of butter, pecans, and maple syrup makes the dish even more impressive for guests.

Comment

Like Jim White suggests, just a simple foil wrap and on the grill is a good way to make potatoes or sweet potatoes (or corn). I tend to scub ours, then drizzle or spray them with some oil and coat with kosher or pink Himalayan salt, then wrap in the foil before putting on the grill. I tend to eat skin and all and the salt on the outside is a nice touch.

Hasselback (sp?) potatoes are another good way to grill potatoes.

Comment

After scrubbing I cut them in 1/2” circles and toss them in olive oil and season with taco, fajita or seasoning of choice. Microwave them for three minutes covered and then stir before microwaving for three more minutes. They need to be mostly cooked or our gill time will be too long. Grill at about 400 and turn as needed. They arevregulars at our house

As mentioned above baked sweet potatoes are great, too.

Comment

Agree with nuking for 3-5 mins first, wrapping in foil with butter, when I do them, and whatever seasonings you choose.
          I do suggest you try giving them a coupla shakes of Nutmeg on each sweet tater, we find it really wakes them up.

Comment

I've been meaning to try Meathead's sweet potato fries recipe. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-fries-recipe/

Comment

Just to help matters
              16 Shades of Sweet: A Sweet Potato Guide (saveur.com)

Comment

I usually just wrap in foil and throw them on the grill. I usually bake a potato for the wife and just throw them on at the same time.

I also like cubing them, tossing them in olive oil with sea salt and pepper and then cooking them on the stove in a skillet. My wife does not like sweet potatoes baked but she likes them cooked in the skillet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here