Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confit Potatoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confit Potatoes?

Okay, so just tried this for the first time ever. And it came out pretty damn good. Sorry, no pictures yet.

Cook potatoes like you were making Duck Confit. Yep, that simple. They turn out stupid good. After reading a couple different websites, this is what I did

1. Got a pound of baby potatoes …. Like fingerlings, for example. Basically, no more than 1” in diameter.
    2. Washed them well, put them in a small baking dish, added a couple cut in half garlic cloves and a couple sprigs of rosemary
    3. Covered potatoes with olive oil until fully covered by 1/2” over the top
    4. Put in oven, uncovered, at 225F for 2 hours … yes, 2 hours
    5. Pulled from oven, pulled potatoes from the oil, salted with kosher salt, and then served along side cod fried in butter, lemon, garlic, and some sautéed green beans.

The potatoes were outstanding! Like the best baked potatoes, but still firm and crunchy skin.

Seriously, it’s an amazing way to cook. I’m going to explore this more

Droolin, over here!

Many Thanks fer sharin with us!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Bones, I’m drooling and gonna have to cook this again soon

So... what you are saying is that you took a new/non starchy potato and steeped it in a full flavored evoo, herbs and an aromatic?

Did I get that right?

No damn wonder why your chili is so freeking Amazing.

May I please suggest some smoked sea salt to those taters or actual duck fat? Sir, you are simply "dialed in" when cooking that simple with great technique.

Carry on fine sir.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      You know, I've been wondering what it would take to convince a certain "Erik" to consider traveling to a certain "Meat Up In Texas". Perhaps a long shot, perhaps not. One never knows until one queries.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That's just what I did HouseHomey ..... and it was amazing. Next time, I'm going to do it with duck fat #NOM

CaptainMike I wish I could

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, my comment was pointed a both "Erik(c)'s"

Thank you for another bucket-list idea. Never heard of that before.
    Happy Grilling to you.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I was pondering things to do with potatoes that would be different. Stumbled across the idea that you could do confit with things other than duck. Decided to try it. Turned out great.

Oh yeah, I didn't toss the olive oil at the end. I've got it in a jar in the pantry now. Cause it's full of rosemary and garlic! Gonna use it for general cooking purposes.

Comment

That sounds really good. I've done the duck legs. Also garlic this way. Potatoes next

Comment

Did you use evoo or regular olive oil?

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I used Kirkland EVOO

OMGoodness. I don't even like potatoes (besides frites and loaded potato skins) and this sounds wicked good to me. Especially with the duck fat option.

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          give it a whirl ..... I am definitely going to step this up to duck fat. But with EVOO, I thought it was amazing. My wife is not a big potato fan (except hashbrowns) and she loved it.

Damn. Excuse my language, but... damn.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          when it dawned on me that you could confit potatoes I had the same reaction.

That sounds fantastic. We will definitely be giving that a try.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Give it a shot, want to know what you think for sure.

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Trying it right now. Will post my thoughts.

Now THAT’s a winner! Dayumn! Gonna do this fer sure 👊👊👊

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Hank, this was amazing. Really. Eye opening for me. Let me know what you think

Has anyone tried dry brining potatoes?
        I must make these. Oh look at the calendar, 3 day weekend.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve never dry brined potatoes. I’m not sure it would do anything beyond the skin, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210530_195057134.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1038304

Comment

This is just ridiculous!!!!!!

Comment

Hmmmm...I bow to yer Culinary Expertise, Brother Mine, but close examination ain't showin me no forky holes, in them taters, to allow absorption of brine...

I always give em some perforations, but there's definite more that one way to skin a cat, an I'll readily acquiesce that many most likely are, in both principal, an fact, better than th ways I know.

Jus know what I likeys...

Meanwhile, Lovin It!!! Will definitely be tuned in to 'Th Ernest Channel', see what happens next!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here