Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technique Question Re: Iberico Pork Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technique Question Re: Iberico Pork Ribs

Hi All,

My son-in-law & I purchased some Iberico Pork ribs. He made 1 rack back on Super Bowl Sunday on his WSM. He cooked them at 215 (don't recall how long). He felt like he over (dry) brined them (they were salty) and they were on the dry side, not terrible, but more so than he liked.

I took 1 of my racks out of the freezer to cook this weekend. At first I was considering Meathead's Tuscan Marinaded Ribs, but then got to wondering if maybe sous vide que might be the way to go.

If you are not familiar with Iberico pork, you can read more here. Basically it is a Spanish heritage breed of pork and because they are on the small side for hogs, the racks are smaller and thinner than traditional pork ribs we usually cook.

I would love any feedback from the pork rib loving cooks here at Amazing Ribs!

Henrik

Comment

I've not done ibericos but I'd 1) go light on the salt and b) cook them hotter. One day I'll convince people that very low isn't always the answer. My guess on his would be that they cooked for too long. Also, don't be afraid to wrap

Finally, with Iberico, don't cover it up in a strong marinade or sauce. There's no reason to go for premium pork with a distinct flavor then cover it.

Comment

Sounds to me overcooked and heading to the drying for jerky.
        Try a version of the 3-2-1 method tailored to your cook.
        Happy grilling to you.

Comment

Hi efincoop, since they are readily available I've cooked plenty, and I've done a few YT videos with them too. I've done Carillera Iberico (pork cheeks), Iberico rib racks, Presa Iberico, Pluma Iberico, Secreto Iberico, Iberico pork belly and Iberico ribs.

By your description it sounds like you have the smaller, baby back versions. Iberico pork ribs come in two versions: full size slab of pork ribs, or the smaller rack. If you could upload a photo I'd know for sure.

Either way, if I'm guessing right, cooking hotter is not the way to go. These racks need a traditional low 'n slow all the way. The one thing I might add is wrapping them in butcher's paper for the last hour. For these smaller ribs I avoid alu foil, it gets too pot roasty. I don't always wrap, but I make an eyeball judgement when cooking them. I prefer cooking them bare all the way as I love good bark. If they're a tad on the dry side a 30 minute rest all wrapped up really helps. These take just a little over 3 hours to cook (5 hours if you have the full-size slab).

Flavor wise these are the bomb, so just like rickgregory says, don't go for premium pork and then cover or mask the flavor. Just add a good pork rub and that's it. Since these are slightly fattier than traditional pork ribs I wouldn't sauce them either.

Anywho, let me know if you have more questions.
          Last edited by Henrik; February 25, 2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Well you can Carillera, Presa, Pluma or Secreto me (well maybe not Secreto, that sounds a little weird) me anytime. I just want some good Iberico pork (without paying an arm and a leg that is)

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman - here you go. Free shipping too https://www.marxfoods.com/ms/Pork--A...oar/pb/Iberico

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            rickgregory Thanks, that is the cheapest site I've seen for Iberico pork. They have some spares for about $11/lb. Now to go find me some acorns...

OK Henrik , now that I got you. Are you sure you're not that YouTube guy Harold Baldr from Norway? I'm thinking you two guys are looking way too close to the same. Sure one of you isn't incognito?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, he sure looks like me! Or the other way around 😄

Thank you Henrik ! I've include a picture of the ribs I have and I'm off to check out your YT videos! Click image for larger version

Name:	IbericoRibs.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	995302

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet! That looks like the real deal. A ton of flavor, they’re gonna be good! Count on 4.5-5 hours.

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Where did you get those?

I plan to follow your recipe. I even ordered your KC Royale rub. Gotta love Amazon. It will be here Saturday in time for my Sunday cook!
          Last edited by efincoop; February 25, 2021, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet, thanks for trying it out!

I've eaten plenty of Jamon while in Spain but have never had any other cuts of Iberian pork. If it was available locally I would certainly buy it.

Comment

Bkhuna It is not available locally for me. My son-in-law split an online order. I can get the name of the vendor and post it here if you or anyone else is interested.

Comment

I just wanted to share some pics of the Iberico ribs I've done on the KBQ. I've done the back ribs and the spareribs; both are fantastic. One of the ribs is wagyu beef rib that I cooked the same day as the Iberico. Sourced from Marx Foods (Aljomar brand). I do agree with Henrik, low and slow is better with the Iberico. They tend to cook fast and can dry out if you're not careful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61374657221__40EDB40A-A3CD-4841-BB3F-F1648A5E22F3.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1011627Click image for larger version

Name:	61377119181__AF715AA9-4A3F-41CE-BBF6-D4AED43D5A6B.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1011628

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here