Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib smoking

When smoking ribs, is there an advantage (other than space) to using a rack? Does the rendering fat dripping over the meat add to the taste as opposed to the fat dripping on the drip pan?

IMHO - No advantage regarding taste when using a rib rack. Strictly for real estate saving. I always lay my ribs flat, meat side up.

Comment

I agree. Saving space is the only reason I can think of to use a rib rack.

Comment

Saving space. That's it IMO.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Yes, on a traditional grill a rack is for saving space. If you have a PBC the meat hangs over the coals and drips on to them as the cook progresses. This gives the meat a different type of flavor.

Comment

Just as long as ya cook em, yessir.

Comment

What they said ☝️

Comment

Using a rack could extend the cooking time, due to the meat being so close together.

Comment

I’ve used a rack. There is no difference in flavor.

Comment

An alternative to the rack is to stack.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	harry soo foiled ribs.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	994235

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, that's pork-a-licious

• Sweaty Paul
                      Sweaty Paul commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So many choices and can only take one first bite! A great problem to have!

• MarkN
                      MarkN commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice sandwich.

I have a PBC and I find that my ribs actually come out better when they are hung then when they are flat on the grate, but that is just my experience. I can place 2 racks flat easily but even if I am doing just 1 rack I still prefer to hang em.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh yeah. PBC, PBC, PBC!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here