Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly Question

I purchased a whole hog recently. I have a great looking belly that I am going to cure and smoke for bacon. I took it out of the freezer to thaw so I can start to cure and realized that I am out of Prague Powder 1, I have pink salt, but not the Prague powder. I am not able to get it here locally and have ordered. The meat has thawed in the fridge and is ready to go but my powder will not be here until Tuesday or Wednesday.

I have studied this page https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...g-meats-safely in depth and I am perhaps worrying too much. The belly is in the fridge still in the cryovac and has not started the cure process. Am I safe to hold it there until Tuesday or Wednesday before I start to cure? I am probably over thinking this one.

Thanks...

IMO I wouldn’t have any issues holding it in the fridge for 3 days prior to starting the cure. But there are some way smarter folks about this subject than I in this group so I hope they comment here.

Comment

Should be good. Keep the fridge COLD.

Comment

Agree with Jerod but 'm curious what do you mean by ", I have pink salt, but not the Prague powder"

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Im thinking may be Himalayan salt.

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
        Agree with Jerod but 'm curious what do you mean by ", I have pink salt, but not the Prague powder"
        Correct, I have the Himalayan Pink Salt Sorry for not clarifying. Thank you all for the comments.
        Last edited by DavidNorcross; February 21, 2021, 04:20 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          With the weather we've been having just stick it outside.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah. Yeah that’s just salt. Nothing special for curing

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here