Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly burnt ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly burnt ends

My son brought me two Duroc heritage pork bellies, about 10 lbs each. Having a son at Deep Cuts Dallas has many advantages. I want to make burnt ends out of one of these. I've read about doing that here and even think I understand what to do. Here are my questions. Do I cook it differently because its heritage? It seams to have plenty of fat. Is there a way you've tried that is just rub, no sauce. I have a BBQ sauce hater in my bunch. I like to do a few for her. From the side it looks like one of those packages of bacon you pass on because there's a bit too much fat. Judging from the price on it I'd rather not mess it up. Thanks in advance.

I cook a lot of Duroc meat and I don’t cook it any differently.
    As far as the PB burnt ends I think you could follow Malcom Reeds recipe and just pull a few out and not sauce them. I would still add the butter, brown sugar and honey then instead of adding bbq sauce just use the liquid in the pan to glaze them.
    i also like smoking a 4-5 lb chunk of belly whole to 165F IT then let it cool in the fridge overnight. Next day or when I’m ready to cook it I’ll slice it 3/4”-1” thick, throw them on a hot grill and and let them reheat. Once hot I’ll brush on an orange marmalade for a glaze.

Comment

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the Malcom Reed method. Proves why Mother Nature made the best tasting foods so bad for you . . . she is trying to rid herself of us :-)

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      PS: I am not a sauce fan either but pork belly burnt ends are the exception for me.

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman We have several farmers around here that raise both Berks and Duroc hogs, mainly for the 4H kids. But the Duroc meat has a very distinct look and flavor, especially the hams. Seems like it’s closer to what pork used to tast like 40 or so years ago.

Hater of just BBQ sauce or any sauce? I make a version of pork belly burnt ends that used a korean inspired sauce. Gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, brown sugar, sriracha. But if he's opposed to anything with a sauce, I'd go for a different direction than burnt ends. Can even do a non-cured bacon. Just smoke whole and then slice and pan fry. Would go create on a steamed bao bun with some pickles and hot sauce

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      She doesn't want anything sweet. That shoots all my sauces right down. I have been able to get Memphis dust past her, but that's it.

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Oak Smoke - I'm not a sweet person either and I don't get the extra sweet Malcolm Reed version of the pork belly burnt ends. They are so rich and delicious, I don't need all that sugar and honey on them - thats why I started using korean flavors with only a touch of sugar to help caramelize everything but not sweet at all.
      All you really need for PBBE is a braising liquid for the post-smoke and you can skip the glaze part. Or I like the pig candy idea below, just add cayenne to balance it out

Here's a visual on Dadof3Illinois just described the Malcom Reed method. Also check out Harry Soo's Pork Belly Pig Candy. Leave the BBQ sauce off some of them and have a selection;

4.0 from 3 reviews Pork Belly Pig Candy   Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 60 mins Total time 1 hour 10 mins   In my Sat

Click image for larger version

Name:	pig candy 01.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	987803Click image for larger version

Name:	pig candy 02.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	987802Click image for larger version

Name:	pig candy 03.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	987804Click image for larger version

Name:	pig candy 04.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	987806Click image for larger version

Name:	pig candy 05.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	987805

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      That's beautiful!

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      You posted a mouth full.

• Burfman
      Burfman commented
      Editing a comment
      OMG....I'm drooling

We like the Malcom Reed method with our own sauce.

Comment

Instead of bbq sauce for a glaze at the end you could just use jam or more honey or like others have mentioned some sort of Korean condiment or even a thick teriyaki type sauce. Any of those would give you some delicious options.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        The idea of a Korean sauce really appeals to me. I'll run it past her and see what happens. Honestly this woman is a purist, she just wants the end cut off a brisket and cubed for brisket burnt ends. She will eat every one you give her. We have a grandson like her. I can put strawberries, blueberries, and a chocolate donut on his breakfast plate. When he's finished the donut will still be there.

(2) Pork Belly Burnt Ends Video - YouTube
      This short video says it all.
      Happy grilling to you.

Comment

I'm too lazy for the Malcom method, so I just cube up the belly, use the rub I have on hand, usually Hanks KC, or Blues Hog Sweet and Savory. Then smoke until tender, sauce, and finish. I have more than once considered skipping the sauce step simply because they are really tasty just rubbed and smoked.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, keep it simple and tasty.
          pair it with PBR, Happy grilling to you.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here