Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gifting a Pork Butt!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifting a Pork Butt!!

Odd situation....prefacing this with the comment that I have read and agree with meathead's manifesto on not serving leftovers. So seeking opinions on what I should do in this situation (ie, should I give something else??)

Our assistant at work just lost her father. She is also a raging BBQ fiend, but never has time to cook with having three kids and two parents with full time jobs. I doubt this whole situation has improved that. Whenever I bring my pulled pork leftovers into the office for lunch she goes nuts (and yes! I share. A little).

I'd like to smoke a whole butt just for her over the weekend. Pointless endeavor? Should I leave it whole or pull it, sauce it and seal it up into portions? Or should I try and figure something else out to give her.

Would welcome opinions!

Most people like it pulled... but it is a personal thing

Really nice gesture by the way!

Comment

I probably do it pulled so it is ready to eat. Under the stress of loosing her father, family, funeral arrangements etc., if you are able provide the roles, and what ever sides (coleslaw or whatever is appropriate,) so it's an easy fix and eat. Plus being home made and personally cooked by you will mean a lot. just a thought.

Comment

I would tell her what you want to do and ask her when a good time is to bring it over, that way they can have as much as they want fresh and store what and how they want.

Comment

I disagree (Sacrilege I know!!!!!) with MH that pulled pork can't/shouldn't be served as "left overs." I'm getting a catering business started, so I've been selling pulled pork and smoked beans at our local farmers market to get may name out there all summer and it is extremely popular. When people taste the samples, the most common response it "Oh, my God that's good!

I follow a process that Ernest shared with me. Dry brine, rub, and smoke the butt, pull the butt, and put in a ziplock. If you can catch the drippings while cooking the butt, DO SO! Add the dripping to the pulled pork and seal in a ziplock freezer bag and refrigerate. You could even split it up so they could eat half at one meal and half at another if need be.

If it's going to be the next day or two when you take it over, a ziplock should work fine. If it's going to be a while, put in in a foodsaver bag (if you have one) and freeze it. When it's time to reheat, the best way to do it without overheating & drying it out at all is in a cooler full of hot water. I usually shoot for 140 - 145. I also sell pork for parties, reunions, etc. in bags like this and tell them to reheat it the same way. Mix up a batch or two of KC bbq sauce and Carolina Mustard sauce to go with it and the family will love it.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions about how I've been doing this. I think it would be a fantastic gesture on your part to do this for your coworker.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. ROK, I am receiving my KBQ smoker this week and my virgin smoke will be for pulled pork for 60 folks (office beach party). If I smoke 3 days prior and refrigerate, do you do the 2-4 hour 'rest' at 140º at the time of the smoking, or do that the day you serve? Any advice for a newcomer? Thanks, Daniel

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, just saw this. The rest is done right off the smoker.

Pulled pork is always better days later. And if you have a foodsaver vacuum sealer you're guaranteed to eat Great BBQ for days.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone! I am glad consensus is to go ahead. BBQ continues to heal the world...
            Will post a pic on Monday (assuming it goes well...)

Comment

I did the same thing yesterday. I smoked the butt on Wednesday night. I pulled it off at about 1:00 am and 203F, then threw them directly into the fridge still wrapped in the foil. The next day at lunch, I came in and pulled the pork and put the meat into two separate one gallon ziplocks. Then I pressed all the air out and threw them back in the fridge. I have some family in town and they always want me to make BBQ when they come back. We had some late night sandwiches last night and they were amazing. Tender, juicy and flavor packed!! I would agree with Ernest that pulled pork is better the second day and even better on the third.
              This is an awesome thing to do some one who is grieving. Nothing warms a persons heart like family, friends and great BBQ.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker, I am new at this, and will be smoking pork for 60 people, will do this 3 days prior. Do you sauce the pulled meat? Thanks Daniel

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                It is important to not pull the meat until right before serving. Then you can add dripping from the foil or bag. I don't add any sauce to my pulled pork, but that is my personal preference. Pulled beef? That I do sauce. Dr. Pepper

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here