Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Sear??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Sear??

I was considering searing ribs at the end of the cook to try and get a crust on the outside with some bite to it. Thoughts?

If I use a sauce, at the end, I often sear under the broiler until the sauce starts to bubble. I haven't done it to unsauced ribs though, but I may now...

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      The broiler is a great idea. I was thinking maybe sear first then add the sauce right after?

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Adding sauce after the sear will probably soften the crust.

+1 on the broiler glaze

Comment

Searing with sauce on a grill makes a freaking mess. I prefer to sauce and just run HOT in the pellet or broil in the oven. Both of these work plenty well. Using the rib rack and running four in the pellet tends to send two to the oven for finishing. I like 'em laying flat for finishing with sauce.

Comment

I’ve always pulled ribs when I figure they’ve got about 20-30 minutes more to go, sauced ‘em, then returned them to the PBC or Original Grilla (OG) to finish:

PBC:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FDBD63D9-EE79-40DB-9609-CBE3CFD1FD33.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	984141

OG:

Name:	324C6EA2-E924-4DA3-BAFE-DDC7918397BD.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	984142

Name:	4D4641C8-9600-4359-BA06-DB495F71CE64.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	984140

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah, those pics will make my tater tots mmmmmm yummy....

Sounds to me like you are asking about combining two different cook methods. You did not say the type and cut of ribs.
        After the cook, boiled? Braised? Oven backed? you might be able to reverse sear and get a crunchy bite. Are you talking about searing the bark after BBQing or smoking? you could sear up a taste crunch by finishing with brown sugar and a torch. Don't forget the PBR.
        Happy grilling to you.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; February 3, 2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Good advice!

LOL boiled...

Occasionally I will do baby backs over open fire on the Santa Maria grill for just that purpose. It's a fun cook that produces nice, crispy pork fat/bark with a firm bite (think fried pork chop). I like a little sauce on the side for variety.
        Last edited by CaptainMike; February 3, 2021, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• MTurney
          MTurney commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea that crispness is what I’d be going for. Thanks!

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a rack in the fridge right now, I think I'll give it that treatment this week!

On my kettle, I often rake the coals around in the SNS at the end of the rib cook, and put each slab of ribs over the SNS for a minute or two per side, to get some char on the ribs. I've even tossed them over to a hot gas grill to set sauce and add a bit of char. I've not done either recently though, due to sheer laziness.

Comment

• PNWsmoke
          PNWsmoke commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on the gasser after smoker

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here