Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My New Go-To: Sliced Pork Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Go-To: Sliced Pork Shoulder

I love pulled smoked pork shoulder. But my new fave is sliced smoked pork shoulder. Typical scenario: I get two shoulders from Costco. One is for sliced pork (served as a roast, or for sammiches with BBQ sauce and pickles and onions [LOVE!], or however you desire...), and the other is for chili verde. Cooked to 175 internal. Nothing better.

Ditch the turkey for Thanksgiving and serve this instead. Make stuffing/dressing if you must. I'm serious. Admit it: turkey has almost no fat. Fat = Flavor. Ditch the Easter ham. This is better. Trust me.

For the chili verde, I slice the roast into three steaks and sear the sides that haven't been exposed to smoke (i.e., don't have bark), and then cube. Carry on with your favorite chili verde recipe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2128 (1).jpg Views:	86 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	983708Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2129.jpg Views:	85 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	983707Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2131.jpg Views:	89 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	983706
    Last edited by Charley Langer; February 2, 2021, 01:14 PM.

You can also cook as a roast with potatoes carrots and onions. Amazing.

Comment

Slice the shoulder into 2" thick slices and slow grill - yum! First had this at Snow's BBQ and now I make it all the time. Using TexJoy steak seasoning it tastes just like Snow's.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip. I had pork at Snow's last year, but, as I recall, it was smoked and pulled.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        They grill the pork steaks on the same outs they use for the ribs, sausage and chicken. When I do it on my kamado (which puts the steak closer to the coals) it still takes over two hours at 250*

Man that looks good!

Comment

Next time just cut you some steaks out of the roast and grill or smoke them. One of my all time favorites. (Your sandwich looks awesome btw)

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 05.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	983760

Comment

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          Until posting this thread, I did not know pork shoulder steaks were "a thing." That plate looks flippin’ amazing!

Looks great!

You guys recommending slicing a butt into steaks - what temp do you grill these pork steaks to? Do you go for 175-ish, like sliced butt, or do you go for 203 like pulled, or something lower, like 145? I would think higher, and doing longer at low and slow temps would render some of the fat, but just wondering...

I've had a recipe bookmarked for years from Project Smoke - Monroe County Port Steaks - that I saw Stephen Raichlen do, where he grilled them over a wood and charcoal fire (on a kettle) and mopped them with a spicy vinegar sauce, dipping each pork steak in the vinegar sauce after grilling. I've just never bought a boneless butt to try it with...

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          I tried the Monroe County Pork Steak once. I need to do it again. I grilled over too hot a fire and the steaks were inedible. The vinegar sauce was....wow.....don't drink it lol.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3AA3581E-0DEA-4B9C-9EB7-8A94EF1AD7C2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.79 MB ID:	983797 Anyone who has lived in or visited St. Louis knows that BBQ’d pork steaks are a local staple. They cut them about 3/4-1” thick and grill them semi hot and fast. They season with a variety of rubs depending on who’s doing the cooking. Finished with bbq sauce again, whatever is the favorite of the cook. Usually cooked to medium well. Sometimes served on a roll, sometimes not. Really, really good. I have a local butcher that has them cut to about 1” available all the time so I do them fairly often. A great way get your bbq pork fix very quickly.

Here is a photo of some I did a few weeks ago. Did them on the Recteq at around 350* if I recall yummy
        Last edited by Jfrosty27; February 2, 2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for sharing that! I didn’t know. Looks delicious!

Here is a good recipe for pork steaks. Note, I have not tried this but Malcolm Reed never disappoints.

Grilled Pork Steaks - or pork shoulder blade steaks - cooked on the grill over Cherry Wood, then glazed with a great Vinegar Sauce

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have done that one too. Excellent.

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang, that looks good!

Growing up we'd go to Lake of the Ozarks to visit family pretty often. I always looked forward to pork steaks!

Comment

I bought a pack of pork steaks (from the shoulder) at Sam's Club today. It was incredibly cheap - like $1 per pound or something like that. I got a 4-5 pound pack for $5! They are pretty thinly cut, but that will be good for hot and fast. Now I just gotta figure out how to season them or marinate them before cooking...

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Season like a pork butt. Yummy every time.

Yea I recommend the Malcom recipe that DavidNorcross poste above. Essentially you are treating them like you would pork ribs; smoke to render, wrap to braise. They are popular here in this area (as in other regions of the country) and are a good alternative to pork chops and a great way to handle pork butt. Personally I get tired of pulled pork. Give it a try jfmorris, I think you will enjoy them !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 01.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	984711Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 02.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	984712Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 03.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	984709Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 04.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	984713Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 05.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	984710

Comment

• DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            Good stuff Sir

Pork butt steaks are common in the grocery stores around here and we frequently marinade them in mojo and grill them to eat with yellow rice, black beans, and maduros.

Yesterday I used Raichlen's method https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/mon...y-vinegar-dip/ for Monroe County Pork Steaks.

Started the morning heading to the big box store and hade a pork butt sliced into 3/4 inch steaks. The only deviation from the recipe was dry brining with salt for 6 hours prior to grilling. Grilled and basted hot and fast until they started to firm up (poke test). They ended up medium to medium well.

They came out very juicy with a nice bit of char and the dip had a good flavor, although I will add bit more ground cayenne in the future. This is a very easy, and tasty recipe.
          Last edited by Bkhuna; April 5, 2021, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Traditional Muhzurrah Dish, most often served with mashed taters, gravy, an a side veggie, ie:sweet corn, green beans, limas, succotash,greens, okra.

Guess that's all I gotsta say bout that...

Comment

I need to revisit these. I've done them exactly once.....and it was back when I was first trying to learn to grill and I had them directly over a full SnS and they turned out inedible. (The heat was so hot, it warped and damaged the nickel coating of the stock Weber grate!)

My HEB does seem to carry them fairly regularly, although if I remember right, they are cut a little on the thin side.

I do want to try that Raichlen recipe (which is the one I used when I first tried the steaks), that dip was good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here