Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple Syrup is Your Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maple Syrup is Your Friend

I would have had more photos, but this was an "emergency smoke" so to speak.

I found out around 9AM that I had to cook something, so I went to my local Smith's and found the smallest pork butt they had: 6.4lbs at 2.49/lb.

I immediately put some salt on it and put it in the fridge. At 10:30 I put my basic pork rub on it (minus the salt now): Brown sugar, white sugar, garlic powder, cinnamon, sage and chipotle powder. That went back in the fridge while I got a half chimney of lump charcoal going. I used that to start a big mesquite log, about 8" in diameter.

The meat went in at about 11:30 and I kept the temp at 250 - 275.

I put the meat in a tray when it hit 160 for the IT. I put about a 1/4 cup of apple juice along with butter, molasses and a touch of maple syrup on it and covered in foil. This is not a real crutch since I didn't wrap it tight. I put that back in the smoker and maintained about 275 cooking temp from there on out.

I pulled when my Thermapen showed an average of about 203 when probing different areas. This was right at 6PM.

I poured 1 cup of the drippings into a pot and brought it to a slow boil over a medium flame while my daughter was pulling the meat. (She has to earn what she eats.) To that I added some malt vinegar and a bit of red pepper. Then I added a bit more maple syrup and let it simmer over a low flame until I started to see a froth. That was the sauce we used for our sandwiches tonight.

This was all that was left after I had my neighbor come over and take some. (I have to keep him happy since I get free wood from him.) Now I gotta figure out how to keep 3 dogs happy with just one bone.

Sounds good. But seriously boftx, after pics just aren't the same

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured you could judge the quality of the cook just by how clean that bone was. I had to pull every trick I know to have a 6+lb butt ready in just a little over 6 hours.

In all seriousness, the flavor part was easy, it was the fire management that was real work. I had watch the cook temp like a hawk and turn that log quite a few times to keep the temp up where I wanted it. But that one log went the whole distance.
      Last edited by boftx; August 12, 2014, 08:40 PM.

Where's the pork/beef/tofu?

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Smartass.

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      hehehehehe
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 13, 2014, 04:23 AM.

I tried MH's East Carolina sauce recipe a while back when I did a cook for 25 people. I did two butts and sauced one with the E.C. sauce and left one plain. The pork with the E.C. sauce was a huge hit. I now do about 80% with that sauce. Love the tang and the underlying heat. Really complements the meat. A regular sauce seems to mask the meat a bit

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here