Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon on the Slow n Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henrik
    replied
    That is some great looking bacon!

Leave a comment:

• Livermoron
    commented on 's reply
    Same here. We do 16-20 pounds, and the neighbors smell it over the fence and submit their orders to my wife before it's even off the smoker!

Great bartering tool...

• Spinaker
    replied
    I love this recipe so much. In the past 5 months. I've almost always had a belly on cure or in the fridge. Most of it i share with family and friends. Its a huge hit!! Looks like yours turned out awesome. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Rich I LIVE for audit. lol

• richinlbrg
    commented on 's reply
    BTDT, eh? LOL
    (And don't forget the audit!)

• David Parrish
    replied
    Public, ugh! That's way too much work to get all the accounting in order. There's the SEC fees, public filings... yuck!

That bacon, though, is pretty darn amazing!

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    started a topic Bacon on the Slow n Sear

Bacon on the Slow n Sear

So the last of my "test" cooks on the Slow n Sear happened this morning. I started out last week with an approximately 14-lb pork belly

Click image for larger version

Name:	19477820988_9cf3669d55_o.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	97845

In the past, I've broken it up and frozen some slabs and then cured and smoked as it was wanted. This time, I decided to cure and smoke the whole thing and then freeze the cooked bacon. I had to break this down into 3 slabs even for the cure because it was too wide for the standard 11" Foodsaver bags.

Followed MH's maple bacon recipe since everyone loves it. Cured for a week. Here it is after being rinsed.

Name:	19827718315_bf38d6bcb1_o.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	97846

Then I realized that it was too big to fit all three slabs across my kettle. Luckily, I've got a Hovergrill Cooked at about 250 with some apple wood chunks. I knew the higher grate would be hotter, so I probed one of the lower slabs and the upper slab. Top slab finished only about 10-15 minutes quicker.

Name:	19641821558_9af8508c4e_o.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	97847

Here's the completed top slab

Name:	19207220354_2fc9011ab8_o.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	97849

And the two bottom slabs - no appreciable difference

Name:	19643232649_d8cc60a575_o.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	97850

And the first slice.. The ends taste so good with that extra carmelization. This slab is a bit fatty, but oh so good both fresh and when cooked up. (From previous experience I can tell you that not only is this good for breakfast with eggs, but it makes a great bacon cheeseburger.)

Name:	19829849485_dbe8945818_o.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	97851

Another SnS success story. David Parrish / Huskee - let me know before Adrenaline Barbecue goes public because I want in on the IPO
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here