Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Pork Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Pork Leg

I bought a fresh whole pork leg yesterday. 99 cents/pound! Can't go wrong.

So this piece weighed 20 lbs. I trimmed off all the skin and some of the fat under the skin - just because it kind of smelled like a pig barn... I'm guessing I have about 17 lbs left. It's dry brining in the fridge right now. I plan to rub it down with Memphis Dust, and it will go onto an offset smoker.

What's my anticipated cook time? It's pretty cold out - about -14 celsius (6 f) so I don't think we'll be able to hold the smoker much above 275.

what are you planning to do with it? pulled pork or just cook it through to slice n eat? Front or back leg? If you are looking xfore more bark or quicker cook times you can always butter fly it. Probably around 10 -12 hour mark for slicing style pork ar about 275f.

Comment

• UncleSpike
      UncleSpike commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a front leg. I would like to pull it.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      You can de bone it a little to speed up the cook. Leave a little fat on it to help
      keep it moist. Figure 12 hours at 275f. Run it to about 203 and give it a good hold before trying to shred.
      Last edited by Ahumadora; January 22, 2021, 01:19 PM.

If I understand this correctly, meat cooks by the temp inside the cooker and not the outside temp. I would guess you will have to bring the cooker up to temp. The whole leg of a pig to BBQ sounds like fun, PBR fun.
    Be sure to post the final results.

Comment

Just how long is that leg?

It don't matter how long as long as you enjoy the cook and have enough beer.

Comment

Use the skin for Chicharones !

Comment

It sounds like you have the picnic and the butt still attached. Thickness of meat determines cook time. So, if the thickest part is five inches or so, I would guess between 12-14 hours at 225 to an internal temp of 200 for pulling. If you wrap at 160 you could cut 3-4 hours off of your cook time. I like to wrap after the cook is finished an hold in an ice chest before pulling. That would put you at 16-18 hours. That’s why I like to do overnight cooks and serve for noon.

Comment

Well, I put it on at 1:45 AM. Cooker temperature ranged from 250 - 300 the whole time. At 4:00 PM it was still sitting at 185, so I wrapped it and put it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour. After an hour the meat temp ranged from 188 - 202 in different spots. Then it sat in a cooler for an hour. Ran out of time.

All I did was dry brine, and rub with Memphis Dust. No injection.
            It turned out great. Pulled beautifully. Bone pulled out clean. Wasn't dried out at all.
            No pics, sorry. All I got was a picture of the fine beer I had in the afternoon...

Thanks for suggestions!
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here