Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makin' Bacon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makin' Bacon!

I came across this on YouTube and thought I'd share it here. Looks so good!

Not sure if it's ever been posted before.

Bentons stuff is amazing. It's actually a good argument for NOT doing one's own bacon - last I checked it was something like $7/lb. And their country hams are to die for.

Comment

Very interesting.

Comment

This is timely, I am going to order beef navel to make beef bacon. Have made enough pork bacon, time to try beef.

Comment

Looks LEGIT

Comment

Neat. I shopped online and it was $15/pound on big dog Amazon...out of my price range. Benton's has a website, $32 for 4 lbs, plus shipping (not sure what that is.). Thanks for the tip!
            Last edited by DrJimmy2112; January 21, 2021, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              $8 from them direct - https://shop.bentonscountryham.com/P...oductCode=hscb

They sell in 4lb packs, but each is $32. NOW.... if you just want one pack, the shipping will make it too pricey. Wait until they have ham back in stock and order some other stuff. Or order more than 1 pack of the bacon.

• DrJimmy2112
              DrJimmy2112 commented
              Editing a comment
              @riskgregory you are a quick draw!

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              I've ordered from them before

Thanks for the post of the video. Of course, your post has now lightened my wallet by several bucks.

Comment

Benton's is really good and they are only 1.5 hours from me. Been there a lot.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

So, if you make bacon, it's worth ordering some from Benton just to see and taste what this process turns out. I mean, a 3 day cold smoke at 130F is... amazing. You can actually smell the smoke BEFORE opening the packages.

A word about it - it's actually very smoky and pretty salty. But as the video shows they only cure in salt and sugar, nothing else. Honestly, aside from the fun factor, there's very little reason to make your own bacon if what you're going to do is a salt/sugar cure and smoke when you can buy this stuff. Mind you, I just finished breakfast with some of my own bacon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here