Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just so we're clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just so we're clear

I'm planning to make maple-glazed baby back ribs this weekend on my Weber Kettle. The packaged ribs I got at the store said "Contains up to 12% water, salt, sodium and potassium phosphates." That means DO NOT BRINE . . . right?

Dumb question, but I'm new at this.

I wouldn't, and I'd find another store to buy ribs at...

Comment

Not it doesn't mean that, go ahead and dry brine. We don't know how much of that 12% is actually sodium and not water, etc.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Point is, it's usually minuscule unless you're sensitive to salt. Circling back to Nutrition Facts...one could skip dry brining if the Sodium on the label is listed at 400mg or higher, or lighten it up if it's 300 or so, and proceed with normal dry brining if it's 200 or less. That's a decent rule of thumb, not a scientific standard, and your tastes may vary....

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        ...In any case, if you skip dry brining because you're worried about too much salt, you can shake some salt on your ribs on your plate, no big deal. You will know for next time the brand of ribs you buy and the x% solution and how it all plays out. I have never skipped it myself and never wished I had.

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee All I meant was that when I have made ribs with "always tender" or such for the pre brined meats that it does take less time, if you go 3-2-1 you will end up with mush like I have. I hope I do not have a huge misunderstanding about that.

I've never taken the time to even read the labels for ribs. I'm sure they all have some additives. I'd go ahead and dry brine as well.

Comment

If you split the difference then buy the same ribs next time you’ll be set. Probably safe though.

My ribs are always salty As all get out. I don’t know if my ribs are brined. I think it.

Comment

It is a good question.
          Yes, they are brined with a 12% salt solution, which is my guess from what you posted.
          Usually, I get my ribs at Costco, I just season them up with a rub of my choice before pellet grilling.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            +2. In fact I picked some up yesterday. Cooking them Sunday.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            But it's not a 12% *salt* solution, it's a 12% solution in which salt is one ingredient. That's what confuses so many, hence this whole post.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            I humbly stand correct.
            Pride goeth before a fall.

I usually wash them off, pat dry, trim and add so
          me kosher salt over night.

Comment

Do not buy commodity pork, period.

Comment

Instead of dry brining, I’d use a rub with some salt in it.

A lot of this stuff is nuance. Ribs were pretty awesome before people started dry brining them.

Comment

hey, brine half, no brine other half and report back!

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is the best way to tell for anyone's personal tastes.

Thanks folks. I'll be back to report on the result.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here