Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly uestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly uestion

I've looked around the site but can't find an answer. I've cooked pork belly a few times and it comes out OK but I don't know if it's cooked properly. I've seen some cooking competitions where a contestant is dinged because the judge wanted to see more of the fat rendered out. What? From what I've seen pork belly is mostly fat. What would be left? I don't trim any fat before smoking. Should I be?

I follow the Malcom Reed method and it's always good!

Comment

Don't trim. But the rendering process does cook out some and improves the texture of what's left.

Of course I sous vide and smoke these so it is the ultra low and slow

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you sousvide porkbelly?

I take mine all the way up too 200 F. It simply melts in your mouth. There is almost nothing better. I love pork belly.

And dont worry about what you hear on cooking shows about judges. They are selling hysteria and often times ridiculous expectations to have something to complain about. Just cook what you and your family/guests love and go with that.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        110% agree

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        This! 👆

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        115% agree

I have a Q for sale if yer interested.

Comment

What Spinaker said. I devour pork belly, and have smoked it countless times and ways. How do you cook yours? Let us know if you want feedback or suggestions.

Comment

• Starsky
          Starsky commented
          Editing a comment
          I smoke mine low and slow to approx. 198 - 200 deg. I then cut it in to rib size slices and add a light sauce. Leftovers I fry up in a pan. There always seems to be a lot of fat after cooking so I was curious. I'm always up for feedback and suggestions

Elton's BBQ

Try this thread...

Have had good success with naked 158x24 bath (thank you Potkettleblack ), then finishing on smoker with rub and glaze, similar to Malcolm Reed method. This has

For most meats I probably have a taste preference for live fire/smoke all the way, but not so for pork belly. I cannot cook pork belly any better than the SV+smoke method described in that thread.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks

One of the keys is to balance the fat with salt and acid. Getting that right helps. As does a quick sear if even only on one side to add some crunch.

Comment

• BourBonQ
          BourBonQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Leaving the skin on helps with this. Done right you can get a nice light crispy pork rind "chicharron" on top.

Great, now I gotta run out and get some PB...
          Last edited by BourBonQ; January 14, 2021, 08:33 PM.

Pork Belly Burnt Ends. My goto, short and sweet video, how-to, works great, tastes great: (7) Pork Belly Burnt Ends Video - YouTube

Comment

I’m still a devote of Harry Soo’s Pork Belly Pig Candy....

4.0 from 3 reviews Pork Belly Pig Candy   Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 60 mins Total time 1 hour 10 mins   In my Sat

Comment

Spinaker .....👈 what he said. Do listen to all that BS.

you never render all that fat. Fat can get softer when cooked well but that’s it.

BourBonQ Henrik Polarbear777 if it’s soft and delicious and your family enjoys it..... work from there like they said.

I cooked about 6 bellies a week. You will not render that fat with the methods we use and how we like to eat it.

Just do you and nail that.

Comment

Half off on Q’s! TODAY ONLY! ​​​​​​

They are going fast! Hurry!

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I have half-off IQs, daily.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ll take a half a loaf!

Malcolm's burnt ends is my go to for pork belly. I have made them in my kettle and my PBC. Easy ingredients, recipe, and cook. They are incredibly good. Would cook them more frequently if my wife would let me ! She keeps saying something about them not being good for me but I miss the details of the conversation because of my loud mmmmmmmming and ahhhhhhhhhing :-)

Comment

I like Malcoms burnt ends but also like to smoke a skin off 3-4 lb slab to IT of 175. Then let it cool and refrigerate it for a few hours or over night. Now slice it 1/2”+ thick, and grill it hot and fast. Glaze with a 50/50 blend of bbq sauce and orange marmalade.
                Last edited by Dadof3Illinois; January 19, 2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wait, what??? You cook to an IT of 275??? Or did you mean 175???

• Dadof3Illinois
                  Dadof3Illinois commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DogFaced PonySoldier you mean you don't cook yours to 275 internal....HA!! No, my fat fingers can really get in the way sometimes.....yea i meant 175.

Depends on what you are going for as an end result...I have done Malcolm's Pork Belly Burnt Ends many times with awesome results.

Several times I have smoked belly the same as I would a pork butt and I ended up with the best pulled pork I have ever eaten.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here