Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bark-ing up the wrong skewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bark-ing up the wrong skewer

I have a lot of demand for my PB Burnt Ends and I tend to shy away from making them often enough for my ever growing flock of followers. The main reason is balancing quality with quantity.
    The minute I advertise them I sell out in no time and end up turning people away.
    I have posted previously of a different approach I tried by slicing the belly into strips smoking them and then cubing the strips before the bbq bath. It works ok, better than dealing with cubing everything at the outset. The hiccup comes with the serving. The portion and the ease of doing it when dishing.

Smash burgers are my go to and I work alone so managing things gets a little hectic at times. Without going into details on how my little operation runs, I am always looking for ways to make things more productive and efficient without compromising on the service and quality my peeps have come to expect (I pride myself in this)
    I hope you get the gist. So I came up with another possible way of how to streamline things for myself for the PBBE
    Simply put I cubed the bellies then skewered them by weight and added my rub. Smoked then bathed in BBQ sauce and finished untented in smoke and served.
    It was much easier to manage but there were drawbacks. Not enough rub and sauce all round the burnt ends. The meat didn't render the same as it does with individual cubes.
    Hindsight tells me to try again this time leaving gaps between the pieces of meat.

Pics without the finished product just didn't manage that (see a trend of not being able to manage things?)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201222_101614.jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	971882

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201222_132119.jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	971883

Before tenting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201222_132921.jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	971884

FWIW I still recieved accolades 😊
    Last edited by holehogg; January 10, 2021, 03:21 PM.

Yeah, not perfect can still be awesome. If I was there you’d sell out even faster. :-)

gaps would probably solve it. If there’s really solving needed.

Comment

Skewer PBBE after cooked, sell them in a stick.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I did, were served on a hot dog roll with slaw. They just had to pull the stick out.

I have no advice, just encouragement/praise: Those look beautiful!!! 🤠😎

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Sir.

Agree with the spacing. PBBE sandwich!

Comment

I see your delima. Without insight into your operation this is a rough one.

Is SV an option? Large gallon style SV squares. Either preseasoned, SV, cut and rubbed, skewer, smoked/grilled for the finish. something along these lines.

Dont worry about the traditional BBQ Dogma, you are trying to run a business. You can fine tune it as you go.

Perhaps you can preseason and smoke as you wind down one or two days a week. Cool, vac seal and SV overnight. If you choose not to sell them that day then toss in the fridge, it’s already vac sealed. Also maybe you can parlay that PB fat in that into something. After all you paid for it.

this may also allow you to get ahead of you have prepped slabs of belly in vac seal bags. just pull from the bag while the fat is "loose."

Sounds like a lot but not really. Some prep time but less attended cooking and perhaps skewers ready to grill/Smoke. Maybe this can free up some cooker space too.

im just talking out loud but it seems like you need cooked product you can heat and serve without sacrificing too much quality. Also remember that you are far harder on yourself and food than the average customer/person.

You can improvise and adjust on the fly as necessary as your progress.

These are just random thoughts going through my head.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Homey love it when you chime in. I hang on to a lot of what you share in the pit as well as many others and often feel guilty because being here is cheap for the invaluable insights shared. In short, no SV still little known about here and flippen expensive to buy. I prep everything in the morning after a dry brine, smoke in my wagon and notify my peeps when I'm ready for service (not all at once). I am serving smash burgers the BE are just a special every now and then.

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Your fried PP wrap is another firm favourite. The people love my smoked stuff and I never have enough bacon for the demand. I am learning as I go along at being more efficient as a one man show.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          You are killing it!

Sounds like a good dilemma to be in. Good looking brai there, keep up the good work !!!!

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          I do the bigger cuts as suggested. I like to brag a bit with the fancy things also 😊

Yup, some spacing and you'll be fine. Cool!

Comment

Congrats to being successful and happy customers!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here