Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deboned Pork Butt Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deboned Pork Butt Question

I picked up a pair of Costco pork butts today. It had been so long since I had been in the hallowed halls of Costco that I forgot they are deboned. Should I truss this thing or use toothpicks to hold the end together or just let it be?

Hmm, I think we’re gonna need a photo or two In Sweden most butts are deboned, and I never have to truss ’em, but it all depends on the butcher. How does it look?

Comment

I usually tie them up a bit. Nothing fancy, just a couple of strings to keep it all together

Comment

Yup, I usually tie up boneless butts.

Comment

I've used bamboo skewers in the past

Comment

I have not had one from Costco, but I have deboned a few. More area for rub. I just squeeze them up on the the grate to cook for pulled pork.

Comment

I tie up the boneless. And that’s why I don’t buy pork butts from Costco anymore.

Comment

Henrik
                Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup.

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Truss it up for sure.

• Sweaty Paul
                  Sweaty Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ☝️

Thanks for the tips folks. Used a small skewer to hold things in place

Comment

If I plan to hang on PBC I will tie it up.

Comment

Tie them. Learn the butcher's knot. It is your friend

Comment

I often slice large pork butts in half for more rub/bark area, so one half is boneless. I don't cinch it up unless it won't hang well (parts are too floppy) in the PBC or will slide apart on the WSCGC grate. Then I use one or two of these silicone cooking bands. In my experience, they don't pull the bark away as much as string can sometimes do in the removal process.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81Zz4TOhtiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	971639

Kathryn

Comment

• jhapka
                        jhapka commented
                        Editing a comment
                        fzxdoc that’s super cool thanks for the link

• Bumby
                        Bumby commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hate tying sooo much. Thanks for this idea and link - I have a pack arriving this week.

Boneless Butts also do well on the rotis with a mop interval.

Comment

You could tie them up or split it (basically butterfly it) and smoke it that way. Which is what I do now since I want more smoke influence in pulled pork and big thick chunks work against that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here