Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$30 slicer vs. a slab of bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$30 slicer vs. a slab of bacon

When I saw a cheap food slicer on sale for $30 I bought it hoping among other things it might work for slicing bacon. The feed table is small though so I wasn't sure if it would really work. But with a little technique it turned out well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resizer_16096127946380.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	967397

Name:	Resizer_16096124873072.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	967398

Name:	Resizer_16096124873071.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	967396

Name:	Resizer_16096124873070.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	967395

Nice. Show us the slicer!
    Last edited by Dewesq55; January 2, 2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

What's your take on the Asian maple? Lots of peeps liked the one I made (per free side) but it didn't grab me.
      I too bought a cheap slicer that hasn't let me down this far and it sure beats hand slicing. I have upped my bacon production because of it.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm playing with that recipe because I also wasn't "grabbed." I will let you know if I find "the one."

I made this recipe before and preferred Meathead's regular recipe but decided to give it another go. I'll probably consider branching out with my own recipe next time and it may very well be asian inspired.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
      Nice. Show us the slicer!
      This is it. I didn't make this thread to recommend this slicer though. It's definitely cheap but is functional so far. If I ever buy another slicer it will be a better one.

Name:	Resizer_16096265737631.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	967524

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Have the exact one except the badge Bella is replaced with Russel Hobbs.

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        I have that slicer and have problems using it for bacon. The bottom edge catches/drags so I can’t get really clean slices. Def quicker than slicing by hand but not sure if I’ll break it out again

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Shifty picked up similar problem and what I find helps is flipping the slab over every secons or third slice. I use mine a lot and have found a few "how to work around" some of the inefficiencies.

Attjack I haven't used mine in a while but mine is a Bella, and that pic looks familiar so it likely is that one. It does fine for pastrami and bacon, that's all I've used it on. I am a very casual slicer user and for my needs I really like it, better than hacking misshapen slices with a knife like I used to do. It feels fairly heavy duty, but my experience with others for real comparison is severely limited.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, it's the Bella. We're in the same boat. I'm an infrequent slicer too.

The only time I slice enough to want something more than a knife is when I make pastrami. I discovered that if I chill the meat well I can slice it beautifully on my mandolin. I didn't expect it to work when I tried, but it works great. I have a large slicer that my dad bought from a meat market that was closing. It works well, but is a pain to tear down and clean. It's also too big to store easily in the kitchen and heavy too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here