Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling with Measurements for Bacon Making - Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling with Measurements for Bacon Making - Help Needed

Hi all!

I am having a hard time figuring out how to break down meathead's recipe for a smaller than 3lb pork belly. I have a 1.97 lb pork belly. His recipe at 3lbs calls for .5 teaspoon. I used his calculator on the site and got .4 teaspoon as the recommended amount for my smaller belly. I am terrible at math, can someone reassure me or check my numbers against the recipe to make sure I am embarking in the right direction? I am interpreting that I can follow his recipe measurements exactly other than decreasing the Prague powder. Does that sound right to the pros out there who've made bacon before?

Baltimorelger In step 2 on the calculator the default is set to125ppm and the recipe states 100ppm. just slide the bar to 100ppm and using 2lbs of belly and .5 cups of water you get .3tsp or 1.6 grams. Enjoy your bacon because it will be the best you ever had!
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; December 27, 2020, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I appreciate it!

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      Dumb question, but how did you get .5 cups of water?

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Baltimorelger I scaled the recipe by 2/3 since you are starting with 2/3 of belly. So 3/4 (.75) cup for 3lbs would be (.25) 1/4 cup water per lb so 1/4 (.25) x 2 = 1/2 (.5)cup. I scale the whole recipe, so when I make a whole belly lets say 6 lbs, I would double all ingredients and use the calculator for the proper Prague Powder #1 Calculation.

Don't worry about it. The difference between .3tsp and .5tsp is, frankly, not consistently measurable. You're talking about less than 1 gram or about 1/30th of one ounce. You can't measure that accurately by volume.

I do a dry cure for this reason and usually simply do 0.25% of the weight of a belly which would be, um... about 2-3 grams of pink salt for your case.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep it simple. Good post you did.

Thanks for everyone’s advice! It’s currently smoking away and should be finished soon!
    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here