Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas ham

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201222_152702.jpg Views:	78 Size:	4.14 MB ID:	960794 Christmas ham. Bourbon peach pecan glazed. Smoked with hickory.
    Last edited by Bruski; December 24, 2020, 07:40 AM.

Looks tasty! Doing mine on Dec 24th...

Comment

YUMMO!!!!!!

I’m doin my usual maple, bacon, bourbon glaze this year, smoked with hickory an apple.

Comment

• Bruski
        Bruski commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds good, think I'll try that next.

Very nice. I am going to do the spiral as well with the apricot glaze. Good work!

Comment

Your ham looks great. I usually do a spiral ham on Christmas Eve but not this year. Wouldn’t you know it I have a bunch of pre surgery testing on Christmas Eve for surgery on the 28th.
        I cheat though and use food netting to keep the slices from flopping. Your bourbon, peach, and pecan glaze sounds delicious.
        Darn nice looking cook.

Comment

• Bruski
          Bruski commented
          Editing a comment
          I cooked them on a elevated rack cut side down to keep them from falling apart. Prayers that your surgery goes well.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Good luck with your tests and surgery.

• tiewunon
          tiewunon commented
          Editing a comment
          Bruski and HawkerXP thanks for the well wishes.

Not doing ham, but, still doing pork. Planning on doing pork spareribs this year with baked beans and coleslaw.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds purty dang danged "Traditional"

Warm. Fuzzy. Comfortin. Stuff we'uns ALL runnin LOW on, this here year..... to me, reckon I'll be watchin fer my Invite, next year,

If'n yer wantin to go Full Blown, with whatha already got, why, here's my humble offerins:

Loaded Mashed taters (Or Twice Bakes) withcher favourite things, an gravy, (either / both can be instant, an jus dolled up some, from yer spice cabinet...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 23, 2020, 01:22 AM.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ain't nuthin wrong wit dat; Pro Chefs do it alla th time, when they jus wanna eat supper...

Green beans wit some bacon, butter, an onion, garlic, cayenne or fave hot sauce mixed all kinda up in there, reckon ain't never heared nobody outright cussin em, greens, fixed up th same as green beans:butter, bacon onions, garlic, via whatever medium is most convenient, an expeditious...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 23, 2020, 07:42 PM. Reason: tipoes

Looks great, I plan on double smoking a ham with a bourbon glaze. Not sure when it will get done, Christmas doesn't fall on my days off so I have to work both Christmas Eve and Christmas day.

Comment

I'm going to double smoke a ham ... maybe today, despite the crappy weather. I want to share a big chunk of it with good neighbors who have had a tough time lately, so it needs to get done a bit early. That peach-pecan-bourbon glaze sounds mighty tasty -- I have some homemade peach butter to use.

Comment

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Got my ham in the Hasty Bake a couple of hours ago, but !!!whoo boy!!! the wind is fierce today -- 20-35 mph. I'm going to end up using about twice the charcoal briquettes that I'd use on a calm day. But the ham looks delicious so far -- hope my mouth agrees with my eyes!

That looks great!

Comment

Thanks to all the folks on AR, I still haven't decided what glaze to use. I can't do anything with bourbon because one of my family members is a recovering alcoholic. It's not about the alcohol, but I don't want the flavor to trigger her.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              It is hard to beat Meathead 's apricot glaze

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              DavidNorcross - I haven't done a ham in ages. I think I'm scarred from growing up with a Betty Crocker/Good Housekeeping Mom who put canned pineapple rings, maraschino cherries, and cloves on hams. We always had a ham on Easter.

Which begs the question, why do we serve ham on the religious holidays that commemorate The King of The Jews?

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Bkhuna while I have an answer to that question I will refrain due to forum guidelines. Merry Christmas

I bought my first country ham for this Christmas. I've never had anything but city hams so I'm looking forward to experiencing the difference.

Comment

• TheQuietOne
              TheQuietOne commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup. I started soaking as soon as it arrived this morning. It should be ready to stick in the oven tomorrow morning.

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              I love country hams. I spent some time in Southern Spain and think I ate ham at least once or twice a day.

Best of luck.

• TheQuietOne
              TheQuietOne commented
              Editing a comment
              It turned out great. I'm glad we tried it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here