Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Bacon Flavors for breakfast tacos -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Bacon Flavors for breakfast tacos -

I've figured over the next couple/few weeks to try making some different flavors of bacon, with the goal of making the tastiest breakfast taco possible.

Thought I'd try jalapeno bacon.
    And maybe a version where I add chili powder, paprika, and cumin to either the cure or the rub.

Any other ideas/recipes/examples would be appreciated.

I’ve never cured bacon before, but I do like this. Right before my bacon is finished frying I sprinkle some Lawry’s Garlic Salt and some fresh ground black pepper to them. It really kicks up the flavor for me. Something about the Lawry’s Garlic Salt makes me like it more than others.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Curing bacon was way easier than I thought it would be. You should definitely try it.

I'd divide a section of belly and try the same ingredients with one section getting them in the cure, another in the rub. That way you can see how the flavors come through and which you like better for future bellies

Comment

I've tried a few different flavours and my personal favorite is still maple syrup.
      Here are 3 that I tried a couple weeks ago.
      1. Curry (used all in one curry powder)
      2. Sweet Chili (used a sweet chili sauce)
      3. Chili (used flakes)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200803_113819.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	960174

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, that looks good even in the bag

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks tbob4 but it's not in a bag that's just before going for a smoke bath.
        Can I suggest an immediate visit to your optometrist.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I see it now. They looked cyrovac’d. I do need an updated prescription and I should have bought the Max sized iPhone.

My two favorites that I make and would be good in a breakfast taco are pastrami bacon and black pepper bacon. The former is cured with some added pickling spices and then lightly rubbed with a pastrami rub before smoking. The letter is just fairly heavily crusted with black pepper pre-smoking

Comment

Jalapeño bacon is off the SnS... It has a good flavor but the jalapeño didn't really come through....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210103_210729.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	968322
        ​​This was about a 1.5 lb chuck of pork belly.
        I used the regular recipe and added 2 jalapeños (sliced with seeds) to the cure.

Up for suggestions on how to get more jalapeño flavor.

Still have "regular", Asian, and maple bourbon finishing up.
        Last edited by BFlynn; January 3, 2021, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Pepper flavor doesn't really seem to come though the cure except as heat. Maybe trying to find Jalapeño powder and dusting the top before smoking. Or maybe a Jalapeño jelly glaze.

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Jalapeño powder is a great idea!

That'll fix it. And I might add it to other rubs.

Asian is off the SnS Click image for larger version

Name:	20210103_213008.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	968352

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here